Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rimfire Revolvers

Rimfire Revolvers

I'm in the market for a rimfire revolver. What does the hive prefer for a fun, rimfire revolver that can be purchased new at this time?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    With the understanding that it depends on what you intend to do with it, etc, I like the SP101 .22. If you're willing to swap in a Wolff spring kit, it's a nice shooter. Factory springs are HEAVY, and the aftermarket ones do not reduce reliability in my experience. The fiber optic front and adjustable rear are easy sights to see and use. SP101 grip options will let you tailor that a bit if you so desire. I traded for mine as a way to help my son learn to shoot, but it would not be a bad trail/fishing gun either.

For sexiness, though, the older Model 17s. K-22 Masterpiece...hubba hubba

I have to say that I personally really like Rugers, particularly the Single Six. The 43c is also a neat little gun.

The M17 does have a certain something for sure. (Sorry, I know it's not current production, but I have this photo!)

Name:  00FFF7E9-19F5-44FB-A3D9-CC85900B362B.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  41.3 KB
    Last edited by TDA; 03-04-2017 at 02:50 PM.

I like the 4" S&W 617 for a current manufacture gun. Nice balance, not front heavy. Problem is it's like shooting in easy mode.

The SP101 in 22 is a nice one too. I enjoy mine quite a lot.

Have a GP100 in 22, but it's definitely the least loved of the three. I mean, I like it, but I wish it was a 4" barrel with the normal GP front sight that's easily swapped out. Make those two changes and I bet it would rocket to the top of my list

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Older M17s and K-22's are a little spendy, but they're really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I have a 617 that was always my high volume shooter. I love the thing and it's probably one of the last handguns I'd ever part ways with. I've more recently picked up a mint model 18 Combat Masterpiece. I've spent some good time with it and it's a lovely rimfire analogue for an old model 15 I own. It's also a great shooter. A couple years ago, I bought my Dad an old model 63 used. We put a spring kit in it, had the cylinder chambers reamed, the trigger grooves removed and the trigger face polished and added a nice set of wooden Hogues to spruce it up. It's a great little j-frame trainer and a cool little kit gun. It's effectively a stainless 4" version of the current production model 317.

In my mind, the Smith options are worth the bit of extra cost over something like the Rugers. And you can fish around and find some really good deals if you're patient. But I'm an admitted S&W cool aid drinker, so take that into account.

Pictures, because....ummm, well...pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    With the understanding that it depends on what you intend to do with it, etc, I like the SP101 .22. If you're willing to swap in a Wolff spring kit, it's a nice shooter. Factory springs are HEAVY, and the aftermarket ones do not reduce reliability in my experience. The fiber optic front and adjustable rear are easy sights to see and use. SP101 grip options will let you tailor that a bit if you so desire. I traded for mine as a way to help my son learn to shoot, but it would not be a bad trail/fishing gun either.

For sexiness, though, the older Model 17s. K-22 Masterpiece...hubba hubba

Wow. I scored one of these today at an estate auction. Had been so long since it had been shot the action was like mud. I have already detail cleaned and fired it. SWEET!

By serial number was manufactured in 1948. 6inch, 5 screw just like yours pictured. I've been wanting one of these for a long time.

I picked up a Ruger Bearcat recently just because it was a ridiculously good deal. I wasn't expecting great accuracy out of it but I was getting easy hits on empty shotgun hulls at 13 meters today and it was a lot of fun. Not nearly as refined as a S&W but I didn't worry about scratching it up or banging it around on stuff either. For the record, I've read that the older bearcats were not very accurate.

Two versions of the GP100 22lr out now
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Shooting a 6" 617 is the most fun I've ever had with any gun, ever. Including a Glock 18.

User Tag List