Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any drills specific to the SAA sixgun?

I just got a 3.5in barreled birds head uberti clone in 45 colt. So far best load I have found is unique 8.5 grains
    over a keith 255 gr lead bullet shoots to poa. Will work a while with that one as the smaller birds head is giving me fits with keeping the
    sights still on trigger squeeze. I'm moving sights left using the pad of finger so having to adjust my grip a dab and simply going to
    take some time/practice to be comfortable and consistant. Gun is dead on at ~30ft if I do my part. It will never really be a carry piece
    except maybe a new york reload. It is acceptable for around the place here though for snakes or the occasional other critter. It will never be fast
    to reload but the first five can be pretty fast if necessary but speed comes with practice as well as accuracy. I'll start working on that after couple thousand
    rounds or so. Meanwhile just mostly fun.

I haven't done drills per se, just shot the guns a lot, and shot a bit of small game. What was hugely fun was shooting an SA in steel plate shoots that didn't require reloads. 5 and 6 plate shoots are not hard if you pay attention and shoot well.

I never worked on draw strokes, which would be my main weakness with them.

Shooting an SA 22 will get you tuned up for emptying the gun of brass and basic sights, cocking, and the trigger squeeze. I haven't worked on one handed for speed, but with two hands, cocking with the left thumb, they can be fired fairly quickly and accurately.

Cisco has some videos up of very fast single action shooting. I believe DB knew him in southern Cal.

Hunting small game is good practice, especially running rabbits.
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-06-2017 at 11:26 PM.

User Tag List