Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any drills specific to the SAA sixgun?

Any drills specific to the SAA sixgun?

I am a novice to most of the knowledge here, and read for all I am worth. I practice what my
    finances will allow, dry fire a few times a week, and daily carry a SA/DA with the comfort that
    I am doing what life allows to improve as possible. Having said that, I genuinely have a fondness for
    that old cowboy style six shooter and as with all things in life I would love to become as accurate with
    it as I am with my daily carry.
    I recognize that the inherent accuracy of such guns on average is not usually quite what the
    modern firearms are, yet for decades many have taken their share of critters,two legged, four legged and
    paper type. There are many competition based forums for them, Cas, SASS, etc. and maybe that is all there
    is for training, but to my mind accuracy and competence is what makes shooting anything at all enjoyable.
    Pistol,rifle, shotgun, etc they all benefit from practice. So with all that in mind, does anyone here run drills
    with my favorite the old cowboy six shooter?
    I know many of those listed could be modified to run with the old thumb busters but has anyone here done
    so? Not so much for a speed thing as much as simple accuracy? The old six gun hung on the tractor seat has its own
    kind of comfort after all and isn't that truly what such drill and practice is all about?

Bill Drill would be fun

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm not sure I understand the question. What does the type of firearm have to do with an accuracy drill? Dot Torture is Dot Torture if shot with a Glock 17 or a black powder Navy Colt.

Site Supporter
    Sixguns ... Not ... Accurate ...

Maybe you could try a Dot Torture and check that? I'm pretty sure any of my revolvers will, at a minimum, hang with any SIG or S&W semiauto I have.

With any firearm that is slower to shoot or has lower ammunition capacity, I like the Big Bore Mozambique. That's one round to the body, one to the head. Emphasis is on accurate hits.
    Last edited by That Guy; 03-04-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: cna't wrtie.

sure modern six guns will, not so sure bout colt, and the clones in sa cowboy guns. Although todays range time with the uberti
    causes me to modify that statement some. And yeah dot torture is fun with one of em. The question was more about if anyone actually
    did some of these types of things enough to comment on it like that big bore mozambique, that's the stuff I was looking for thank you.

It'd be a lot of fun. Are you using a Colt SAA or a clone or a Ruger or what?

I briefly owned a Ruger .45 convertible that was amazingly accurate however I could not get comfortable with the grip and reach for the hammer. As I was, trying to learn to shoot it "duelist" rapidly. I might try again with Bisley or maybe all I needed is that CASS style of gunfighter hammer. Loads of fun though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

When Im in an saa mood, or if im hunting with one, I spend a fair bit of time working on my reloads. The shooting is really pretty easy, as long as you account for the lock time. I also work the draw a fair bit, just in case I get a snap shot opportunity or need to defend myself.

I read an article a few years ago about a class at Gunsite or Thunder Ranch for Alaskan Guides where they were shooting big bore handguns. I don't see anything on either web site now.

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List