Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
I've recently run quite a bit of Blazer aluminum case in 45acp as part of some bulk cheapish range ammo mix. Makes steel case tulammo look precision by comparison, and can be very inconsistent to the point of destroying useful feedback to make distinctions between ammo issue and shooter error near impossible to distinguish (because there are indeed plenty of the latter - why we train, yes?).

Switching to good carry ammo, or training loads matched to carry loads, is night and day difference.

So will still use the cheap stuff, but change the drill types those are used for to work on other components of the skillset. The precision focused drills get better training ammo.

Of course, only accurate weapons systems are interesting, so there is a measure lost when the ammo isn't consistent.
Yes the case of Blazer .45 I shot up was horrendous. And I threw away about a dozen or 15 rounds from the case that were deeply inset. OTOH the last 500 rounds of plain old Remington UMC .45 ball from the Walmart 250 round value packs have shot lights out; shooting into 2" at 25 yards from a 1911. I didn't expect that.