Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Flashlight with a Strike Bezel

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Well, my original thinking was: if I hit someone on the head with something as hard as a flashlight, it's probably going to cut them anyway. But I didn't get the bezel to facilitate a superficial cut on the head, I bought it under the assumption it would be much more effective if used to strike soft tissue. I don't have much experience hitting people with things, so if that's a wrong-headed assumption, feel free to correct me.

For LEOs: making someone bleed prior to having to get control of them is definitely bad. I'm not a cop though, so my theory was that if a solid whack is enough to curb violent aggression, I'm going to high-tail it somewhere else. Again, that might be a flawed theory.

(Snipped)

I hadn't considered it facilitating grappling. But my whole idea was not to having grapple in the first place. I've had one total day's worth of training with impact weapons, so I guess that's something I'm going to have to fix.
    "A solid whack" may well fail to curb violent aggression. The aggressor may be able to run as fast as you, when you high-tail it. Then, grappling may happen, like it or not.

Chance,
    I had the surefire P2ZX fury combat flashlight with the crenalated bezel, I just sold it and replaced it with an Elzetta Bravo with a non-crenalated bezel. There are at least a few people who make kydex carriers for flashlights ( Rich @ CCC) and some leather makers who do as well. I had been looking for one for my new light and sourced one which caught my eye from Daniel's holsters in SA.

Maybe it's me but I never saw the value in the crenalated bezel for increasing injury or damage potential against a person but looked at it as increasing the chance of breaking tempered glass on automobile side and rear windows in case of needing to escape a vehicle or help someone else escape their vehicle should the doors be damaged or if they are locked inside and unable to open the door(Unconscious or locks not working). In my experience side and rear windows are extremely difficult to break using a hammer or expandable baton. I could provide witnesses and video to support my claim. Crenalated bezel helps concentrate force to a smaller area to assist in breaking the glass.

I have an E2D. It was available at a decent price. I think of the crenelated bezel more for protection ("defense") of the lens than as a martial arts tool.

I have a Comp Tac belt pouch for it, and also had K-Rounds make me a custom mag/light pouch for it and a 1911 mag.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I think of the crenelated bezel more for protection ("defense") of the lens than as a martial arts tool.
    I hadn't considered that, but that's a valid point. Same idea as a smartphone cover.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Maybe it's me but I never saw the value in the crenalated bezel for increasing injury or damage potential against a person but looked at it as increasing the chance of breaking tempered glass on automobile side and rear windows in case of needing to escape a vehicle or help someone else escape their vehicle should the doors be damaged or if they are locked inside and unable to open the door(Unconscious or locks not working).
    I hadn't considered that either.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Maybe it's me but I never saw the value in the crenalated bezel for increasing injury or damage potential against a person but looked at it as increasing the chance of breaking tempered glass on automobile side and rear windows in case of needing to escape a vehicle or help someone else escape their vehicle should the doors be damaged or if they are locked inside and unable to open the door(Unconscious or locks not working). In my experience side and rear windows are extremely difficult to break using a hammer or expandable baton. I could provide witnesses and video to support my claim. Crenalated bezel helps concentrate force to a smaller area to assist in breaking the glass.
    Slight thread drive, but I carry a knife with a window punch just for this reason. Generally a Kershaw (I think it's a blur?). The window punch WORKS. I did not realize how much it worked the first time I used it and ended up putting my fist through the glass as well. Being safety glass, it didn't slice me to ribbons but I did cut myself good enough to bleed for a bit. A little tap is all it takes.

I've not put much thought into the bezel on the light. The one I wear on my ankle and the one hung on my armor has one. The little one in my coat pocket does not. The only light I've used as an impact device is the big Maglight, and it does not require a bezel to work. Interesting conversation.

I haven't googled it, no doubt someone more tactical than me has tried it and put it up on youtube. I'm still not convinced it would make an appreciable difference against auto glass but hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I haven't googled it, no doubt someone more tactical than me has tried it and put it up on youtube. I'm still not convinced it would make an appreciable difference against auto glass but hopefully someone will prove me wrong.
    I don't think it would work well either which is why I carry that little resqme in the 4Runner. I'll see if I can find something on youtube.

ETA: My google-fu is weak apparently. I'm finding everything but what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by blues; 03-03-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't think it would work well either which is why I carry that little resqme in the 4Runner. I'll see if I can find something on youtube.

ETA: My google-fu is weak apparently. I'm finding everything but what I'm looking for.
    I found a dude who whacked three windows with an expandable baton, a large (probably a MagLite) flash light and a Resqme, they all broke the window, the Resqme with considerably less effort. I'll keep the flashlight for seeing things in the dark.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I found a dude who whacked three windows with an expandable baton, a large (probably a MagLite) flash light and a Resqme, they all broke the window, the Resqme with considerably less effort. I'll keep the flashlight for seeing things in the dark.
    In my experience, the expandable baton works ok if you flip it around and use it "backward". Ours have that mushroom cap shaped thing on the end that makes it harder to slip out of your hand, though.

User Tag List