Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mastermind Tactics IWB Holster & Mag Carrier

Mastermind Tactics IWB Holster & Mag Carrier

Over the last several months I've had the pleasure of doing business with (P-F site supporter) "Mack" and Mastermind Tactics for a variety of belts, belt loops and clips, and neoprene wedges.

For much of that time I've bugged Mack about adding PTD loops to his site both for his own products as well as a standalone item. I also began harping on the idea of an AIWB mag carrier with PTD loop to supplement the one that Mastermind offers with a plastic clip attachment...the thought being that it would be both slimmer and more accommodating in terms of placement and positioning.

Well, suggestions don't fall on deaf ears at MT. If something can't be accommodated in the short run it's oftentimes put on the back burner for later consideration. The interaction between customer and company soon becomes more of a conversation between friends.

All of this is prelude to my surprise Friday afternoon when I found an unexpected package from MT in my mailbox upon my return from town.

Inside was a note from Mack thanking me for my support and business, and a gift of one of MT's new IWB holsters, the new style foam wedge and the new PTD loop version of their mag carrier. The holster and carrier both feature a nice leather grain-like appearance.

Name:  FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  62.0 KB

According to the MT site and correspondence with Mack, the IWB holster can be worn in both traditional fashion, as well as AIWB with the addition of the foam wedge. Mack opined that with compact and sub-compact pistols the wedge is often enough to conceal the firearm without the addition of a claw. However, if the claw is desired it can be added later. (Mack also mentioned in a private correspondence that he's not fully convinced that beveling the wedge is either necessary or superior in tucking the grip of the firearm.)

I found this to be the case with both a G19 (pictured above) and a G26. In fact, the telltale rear corner of the slide was nowhere to be seen under a thin t-shirt. The grip of the G19 was not tucked quite as tightly as my holsters with a claw or beveled wedge, but it was tucked well enough that there was virtually no printing visible. Impressive.

The new wedge is both firm and cushioning at the same time. All in all a very comfortable rig affording excellent retention, a full master grip and smooth draw. That Mack equipped the holster with PTD loops was gravy.

I've suggested that MT add a thin pad to their inventory for IWB use to help with the slight hot spot I seem to be prone to at the muzzle end of the holster when worn in that fashion. Mack mentioned that something will be forthcoming.

The mag carrier with PTD loops was also very comfortable in tandem with the holster when worn at the 11 - 11.30 position, the holster between 12.30 and 1. Under a navy t-shirt I noticed no printing from either the carrier or holster unless I pulled the material taut against the rigs.

I want to thank Mack for the generosity demonstrated by sending these great products my way. It was certainly unexpected.

So I wouldn't feel too unworthy for the generosity received, I went ahead and placed an order over the weekend for a couple of new belts and some foam wedges. (Now I don't feel so guilty for my good fortune. )
    Last edited by blues; 04-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Very cool, that is a first class move.

BTW, that's the first time I noticed that crack in the bottom of the grip right above the magazine. I just removed a nice little piece of plastic and filed off the sharp edge it left.

I wonder how long it's been like that. Heck, that gun is only from 12/88. Just getting "broken" in, I guess.
    Last edited by blues; 04-16-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Just got a email from Chris, at MT, about a belt I had to return. Have to say those guys are great. They make a good product and make sure it works for you.
    Thanks Mastermind Tactics!
    Now, if they would just make holsters for the Beretta PX4 CC.

Sweet! I wonder when they are going to have this raptor texture option in their store. I was about to order a mag carrier but now i'm thinking i should wait Are the PTD loop and the clip attachments interchangeable or is the design different (and mutually exclusive to each other)?

Do you feel much difference with this foam wedge vs. others you have used?

Quote Originally Posted by LesPaul View Post
    Sweet! I wonder when they are going to have this raptor texture option in their store. I was about to order a mag carrier but now i'm thinking i should wait Are the PTD loop and the clip attachments interchangeable or is the design different (and mutually exclusive to each other)?

Les, I think Mack had mentioned to me previously that the PTD loop required that the mag carrier be reworked somewhat. He'll be the best source of info for that. That said, I can't imagine opting for the plastic clip over the loop...but that's just my strong preference speaking.

The new wedge feels great. It is firm yet sufficiently giving to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. Mack said he would experiment with beveling some of the new ones to test if and how much of a difference it might make...good or bad. I don't think it's priority one so we may have to wait for the results though we have the option of doing it ourselves if need be.

I don't know that I can feel a pronounced difference but you can feel that the new wedge seems a bid hardier for lack of a better term.

Quote Originally Posted by LesPaul View Post

The PTD mag carrier is not interchangeable with the clip, good news is that the PTD mag carrier will be up on the site tonight. As far as the "Raptor" material we have had more interest than expected since we posted some pics of it and Blues started this thread so we might add it as an option in the future. The only reason we haven't offered it up to this point is that it is a little more expensive than regular kydex/boltaron and will increase the cost of the holster a few dollars. The main performance difference with this foam vs our neoprene wedge is that it holds its shape longer, in the future we will probably have more wedges out of the new material (in more colors and in black) that will supplant our neoprene wedge.

I also want to thank everyone for the kind words and special thank you to Blues for taking the time for such a thorough write up and great pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    I also want to thank everyone for the kind words and special thank you to Blues for taking the time for such a thorough write up and great pictures.
    The pleasure is mine. BTW, I've been wearing the setup with my Gen 2.5 G26 today since discovering the issue with the grip of my G19 last night. Based on a conversation in another thread I'm probably going to retire that gun, (but for occasional range use), from active carry after 29 years. (No worries, I have a Gen 4 G17 on hand and a new Gen 4 G26 on order.)

The G26 is virtually invisible carried AIWB with the holster and mag carrier in the positions as described in the OP. To me it's the most versatile gun in that it can be concealed easily and yet it has good firepower with a standard mag which can easily be augmented by larger mags as the situation requires.

To be completely honest, prior to testing I never fully expected the holster system to prove as effective at getting the job done as I have now discovered in such short order. Color me very happily surprised.

Edited To Add:

Out of curiosity, I just replaced the OEM 10 round mag with the 12 round Magpul with extended pinkie grip.

The holster hides this setup equally well. With the Magpul loaded, the G26 is carrying only three rounds less than a G19.
    Last edited by blues; 04-17-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Here's the holster with the G19 now updated with a Gen 3 frame and new internals after having discovered the crack (and resultant chip) in the grip upon examining the image in the OP. Serendipity...

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  44.6 KB

Does mastermind tactics have a different email address than info@mastermindtactics.com?

Ive sent a few emails and never heard back from them. Im thinking that gmail isnt playing nice as ive never heard of this company NOT responding to emails.

User Tag List