Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Flashlight with a Strike Bezel

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    One of PF's intrepid kydex crafters could take a run at it for us.
    Oh, Tom...are you reading this? And we want it compact with PTD so we can wear it AIWB. Like where you wear your clinch pick.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Since it has come up a few times in this thread I thought I would offer some of my experience in breaking side/rear tempered auto glass. I have broken approx 15-20 tempered glass windows with various objects. All intentionally except 1 which was my own car when hitting the edge with a sharp edge and it shattered.

First off the edge is key. If the window is partially down where the edge is exposed almost any sharp edge hard object can break the entire window with an edge strike.

If the edge is not exposed then focusing the impact to the sharpest corner of the window shape and most supported portion is best. Tempered glass cannot flex much before shattering so strikes in the middle or on areas with rounded or large radii will be less effective. I have found that striking the sharp corner of the upper rear part of the window(On a drivers door window this would be the highest point near the roof and rearward most point near the back of the front door window) to work best. This is with any impact tool improvised to try and break the glass. It takes a serious hit but usually works. (Note: this does not work nearly as well with Subarus and convertibles that do not have frame around the glass as part of the door)

Using a spring loaded center punch,escape hammer, or knife with window breaking tip designed for breaking glass it doesn't matter where you hit the window. It also doesn't matter where you hit the window when using ceramic as from a broken spark plug as we had a rash of car break ins using this method with a couple caught on CCTV of homeowners. It only takes a small shard and a good throw of the shard at the glass anywhere for it to shatter. This works in the same way as the punch,hammer or knife glass breaking tool principle as it concentrates force in a small area.

Lastly a method that works really well and discovered by accident is using a flat head screwdriver. This works great for breaking windows when you are trying not to spray glass as far into the interior as possible( i.e. a dog or child in the car and forcing entry) Push the screwdriver flat against the glass as high and hard into the frame in the pointiest corner, then twist. It shatters but many times stays mostly together. It works even better with tinted glass as the film keeps the glass together.
    My favorite technique has a couple limitations, but it's so cool. If the car has an antenna, bend it down and back (or break it off), grab the antenna about 4" from the tip and hold the antenna flat to the window, then with your other hand pull the tip back and let it snap into the glass. Done. Learned that from an FD USAR guy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    ...Wandering back around to the original topic, my Ten-Speed pouch has arrived.

Name:  tenspeed.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  31.6 KB

These things are neat. It's like a condom, but not for your... or, well, I guess you actually could... never mind.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Is that a single or double?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Is that a single or double?
    Single. I got the single because you can mount it either vertically or horizontally on your belt. You might be able to do that with the double as well, but I'm not sure. I got two of them and I'm thinking of putting my Leatherman in the second one.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Single. I got the single because you can mount it either vertically or horizontally on your belt. You might be able to do that with the double as well, but I'm not sure. I got two of them and I'm thinking of putting my Leatherman in the second one.
    You can mount the double (it's what I have) horizontally but I've yet to play with it. I can't say I'm optimistic but will give it a shot. I am thinking that the belt will need to go thru the upper half and that the lower half will still show so it's not solved anything for me. A single should work well.

ETA: I still don't like that they're two handed to reholster.
    Last edited by hiro; 03-09-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    ETA: I still don't like that they're two handed to reholster.
    Yeah, that elastic's no joke. There's no seamless reinsertion with this kit.

Carrying a Flashlight with a Strike Bezel

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    ...Wandering back around to the original topic, my Ten-Speed pouch has arrived.

Name:  tenspeed.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  31.6 KB

These things are neat. It's like a condom, but not for your... or, well, I guess you actually could... never mind.
    Dude. I don't know about you but I'd need the AR mag sized one.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-09-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I ran across this video which I though related to what i posted earlier in this thread on breaking glass and focusing hits/pressure near the sharpest corner. Watch when the officer hits the rear drivers side window with his expandable baton repeatedly until he lands a blow near the lower front corner and it breaks. Just an example of how tough side glass can be.

https://www.policeone.com/edged-weap...bE9eDTh6rnAou8

It seems as though most training for breaking auto glass is focused on outside getting in. Not inside getting out, which is the only reason I keep a glass break capable knife in my car.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

User Tag List