Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tweaks to the forum

Tweaks to the forum

Morning Tom,

Wasn't sure if this (or GD) was the right place to ask/comment.

I've noticed a few extra bells and whistles cropping up lately.

The thread total likes disappeared pretty quickly!

The Bookmark feature I haven't worked out how to use yet, I take it it's a work in progress? How's it supposed to work?

Noticed the additions to user profiles too, I got an email this morning when I was quoted in a thread and I see the mentions too, haven't received any of those so I'm not sure how they work.

Seems like the links to FB are a little more visible now too, don't know if I just didn't notice them before, FB isn't quite on my radar.

It's all good

What else is planned?

I need to know how to undo emails when you're quoted by another member. I haven't really picked up too much on other features.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Have a look at your settings, couple of things I think are new down at the bottom:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.37.56 AM.png
Views: 269
Size:  21.8 KB

The Bookmark Post feature isn't working for me or I'm doing something wrong. I click it and nothing happens, go check the tab in my settings and it's blank.

Dunno if it's my browser, I'm using version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit) of Chrome on a Mac running OS Sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Thanks. I'm not on social media. The whole hash tag thing used to crack me up until my wife explained what it meant. And I still don't venture into FB or twitterland.

This stuff can get overwhelming trying to keep up with.

re; templates...

gana work on a product review template...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Sorry, didn't mean to inundate people with stuff they don't need or want. These are (or can be) useful features that people have requested. As the site grows they will become more useful (hopefully). I try not to turn on anything that users can't individually turn off -- you guys just noticed (and were nagged by) the features before I could write them up.

Again, sorry for the any confusion or irritation.
    No apology necessary, Tom. I should have known it was trouble when I saw a little popup from Chrome asking if I wanted notifications of quotes.
    (Since it's a favorite site I just pretty much automatically clicked "allow". I figured out how to undo that one on my own, though. LOL!)

I try not to turn on anything that users can't individually turn off -- you guys just noticed (and were nagged by) the features before I could write them up.

Again, sorry for the any confusion or irritation.
    I hope you didn't see my post as moaning, certainly wasn't intended that way.

By way of an experiment, I've changed the way I'm viewing the forum in the last few days, choosing not to subscribe to threads and mark all forums read when I finish reading then use the What's New button to see what's being discussed. I turned off the ignore GD and Gallery forums and unignored the few (4) people I was ignoring.

I'm trying to find the best way for me to get the best use out of the forum. There's a wealth of info here but I am poorly disciplined and can spend hours reading stuff that's not really of any benefit. I get that there's only so much we can talk about shooting and there's always going to be repetition to some degree and that a community forms on any good forum of people who share a passion and the conversations branch out.

The hashtag option sounds like something I would like to use if user names can be hashtagged. Some forum software allows you to "follow" (tho it maybe better described as stalk ) other users and be notified of their posts. I'm not sure if the "Friends" option here does that but I've preferred not to attempt to friend people cos I like the idea that a friend is someone you actually know and when you meet you shake their hand, rather than the social media version of it. Perhaps I'm just showing my aging curmudgeonly self?

I'm considering installing a Follow User product...
    What are you seeing as the pros and cons?

Yeah, I get that.

No way of turning the notification off or is it an essential part of the equation if it allows the followed to choose not to be followed?

User Tag List