Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Painted My S&W 642's Front Sight

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Nice work. Can you give us a short how-to on blacking out the rear sight?

A no-lock 642 should be in my hands in a week or two.
    Pretty funny anyone asking me for advice on anything "artistic". The best way I can describe my abilities is: "I suck." (And that's on a good day.)

All I did was take one of these black Sharpies, hold the gun in my left hand and then try to color it in freehand with the sharpie as best I could "within the lines" so to speak. It's nothing to look at but it does help the contrast.

How durable it will prove to be remains to be seen but it takes literally a minute or two to reapply. (Not sure how brave I'd be with black paint but I'm sure it wouldn't be much harder.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Haha! Seems simple enough. Looks good though.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    That's basically what I do with mine. Gets a touch-up every now and then. Or it would, if it were getting more wear. It's basically become a dedicated ankle gun now, where it used to be my primary, and frequently only, CCW piece. Then, it got touched up every six months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That's basically what I do with mine. Gets a touch-up every now and then. Or it would, if it were getting more wear. It's basically become a dedicated ankle gun now, where it used to be my primary, and frequently only, CCW piece. Then, it got touched up every six months or so.
    I carried a Model 36 as a primary on and off the job for a year or two in the mid 80's. All it ever got was some of my wife's brightly colored nail polish which seemed to last for years.

I also bought some black nail polish to go with the green nail polish, and on my shield I painted in the dots on the rear and painted the front green and it worked out well. I have handed it to people who comment "Nice Sights" and they are just the factory.

Be bold, after all, they make nail polish and nail polish remover
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-03-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I also bought some black nail polish to go with the green nail polish, and on my shield I painted in the dots on the rear and painted the front green and it worked out well. I have handed it to people who comment "Nice Sights" and they are just the factory.

Be bold, after all, they make nail polish and nail polish remover
    I think nail polish remover might eat through the allegedly crappy finish applied to the 642. I'll explore other options for the rear sight if / when the Sharpie wears off or is perceived as unbecoming of a retiree of my stature. /major sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Here's a an image with the rear sight blacked out. The bright spot is a reflection from light coming in the window this morning...

Attachment 14434
    That looks good. Don't sell your artistic abilities short: that's better looking than my own child-like efforts at sharpie work, for sure. GTG for oldmaneyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    That looks good. Don't sell your artistic abilities short: that's better looking than my own child-like efforts at sharpie work, for sure. GTG for oldmaneyes...
    I didn't share the bad images. (I'm so vain. )

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think nail polish remover might eat through the allegedly crappy finish applied to the 642.
    Oooo, good point...

Name:  blackening_sights.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  40.0 KB

Just sayin'
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List