Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Painted My S&W 642's Front Sight

Painted My S&W 642's Front Sight

Big improvement if I do say so myself...

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 6410
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Views: 5190
Size:  20.4 KB

Used Birchwood Casey "Super Bright Pen Kit".

Two light coats of white followed by three light coats of "fluorescent" red.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

What kind of holster do you use? I tend to pocket carry mine. I'm interested in how that holds up over time and use.

I used a sharpie orange paint pen and it has held up very well in a variety of pocket holsters on a S&W 442 with no white base. YMMV.

Site Supporter
    I did the same then took a black sharpie to the "U" area around the rear sight notch. It was a big improvement.

Dr. House did a nice write up on the practicality of a painted front sight based on Tom Givens' Glock 34. I'll leave the link here for those who haven't seen it yet: https://revolverscience.com/2016/04/...vens-glock-35/

Quote Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
    What kind of holster do you use? I tend to pocket carry mine. I'm interested in how that holds up over time and use.
    I have a few...an Uncle Mike's #3, a Mika on order, an AIWB from Dark Star Gear and a kydex pocket holster from aholster.com

I only painted on the serrated area so I think it should be fairly safe from most abrasion inside the holster. Time will tell.
    (I have plenty of paint left over.)

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I did the same then took a black sharpie to the "U" area around the rear sight notch. It was a big improvement.
    I thought about taking a Sharpie to the rear but I'm afraid to push my luck. (But I may still do so. I just used one recently on the rear adjustable sight of my 686+. I have a Dawson Precision FO on the front.)

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Dr. House did a nice write up on the practicality of a painted front sight based on Tom Givens' Glock 34. I'll leave the link here for those who haven't seen it yet: https://revolverscience.com/2016/04/...vens-glock-35/
    Thanks, I'll check out the link.
    Last edited by blues; 03-02-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This: white sharpie paint stick on about the same amount of baughman blade as the OP for a base, then orange sharpie paint on top. Black regular sharpie pen on the square inside the rear U. Goes from "impossible" to "passible" for my eyes.

Okay, just took a black Sharpie to the inside of the U and square. Not as pretty as the front sight but it does cut the glare.

Here's a an image with the rear sight blacked out. The bright spot is a reflection from light coming in the window this morning...

Name:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 5234
Size:  28.7 KB

Nice work. Can you give us a short how-to on blacking out the rear sight?

A no-lock 642 should be in my hands in a week or two.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List