Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alcohol and Firearms

I've done a pretty good job of pretending to myself that I didn't do a lot of really stupid shit back in the day. All I can say is that in today's world and environment what once was blown off as good old boys having a time, (assuming no one was hurt...in which case all bets were off), would meet with severe repercussions.

I've led a somewhat charmed life in much of that respect and I know I owe a debt of gratitude to pure blind luck or whoever or whatever took a chance on keeping me from a hell of my own making.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I limit my drinks when carrying. I'm disciplined about it and have never broken that rule. If I think there is a chance I will be drinking enough to be buzzed I don't carry and don't drive. I almost never have more than one or two drinks anyway -- being intoxicated isn't fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've done a pretty good job of pretending to myself that I didn't do a lot of really stupid shit back in the day. All I can say is that in today's world and environment what once was blown off as good old boys having a time, (assuming no one was hurt...in which case all bets were off), would meet with severe repercussions.

I've led a somewhat charmed life in much of that respect and I know I owe a debt of gratitude to pure blind luck or whoever or whatever took a chance on keeping me from a hell of my own making.

I think that could apply to many of us.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    That, and even piss drunk it sounds like his gun handling was safer and more competent than most folks' when they're sober.
    It is fairly ironic that of all the time I've spent learning how to shoot things, the time I've spent learning how not to shoot things is what saved me. There's plenty of legitimate gripes against sul, but if that's not your method of choice for not flagging no-shoots in close quarters, definitely invest the time into your chosen method.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Alcohol and gunpowder do NOT mix. I've seen plenty of stupid when the two are combined. Do yourselves (and the people you will come across or be with) a favor...if you're drinking simply don't carry. If you have to drink and carry stay your ass at home.

Read the thread and thought about it, nope not a single story of alcohol and firearms. Never mixed them, never will.

Hell last time I even drank enough not to be able to legally drive was with f2s at VA Beach and that was a planned thing, no crazy gun story

I did some of my best work at a .18-.20.......

Many moons ago now, but in F2S backyard circa 2003-2004, I was working as an advisor to a partner force known for their consumption of vodka. We waited until we had a designated stand down order, giving everyone some time to blow of some steam. The stand down lasted about 4 hours, just long enough for everyone to be good and shit housed, when we got the call to QRF another partner force stuck inside Fallujah (pre-Battle of Fallujah).

Grabbed my gear, and took off to fight the holy war in shorts, flip flops, and 1200 rounds of 7.62mm.

Got back about 14 hours later, with zero ammo, missing a barrel, and my legs and feet looking like ground beef. Guys I took position with had the foresight to avoid the hangover that was going to be inevitable, by bringing two bottles of vodka to the show. I elected to not partake in any further festivities during the event, and managed to avoid the hangover by slugging down RipIts and water. Fortunately, I didn't feel the agony of da feet and knees until the next day, but once I did, it was a solid ten days before they weren't a burden.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I limit my drinks when carrying. I'm disciplined about it and have never broken that rule. If I think there is a chance I will be drinking enough to be buzzed I don't carry and don't drive. I almost never have more than one or two drinks anyway -- being intoxicated isn't fun for me.
    This is basically me too. I may nurse a single drink to be sociable, but no more. I also just hate being stuck anywhere, and will def never drive impaired; so that just means the only place I ever have more than 1-2 is at home and that's almost never.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Ok so first let me display my ignorance by asking what sul is.
    It's Portuguese for "south". Refers to muzzle direction as per the video. Comes from training poorly-equipped Brazilian cops to do jump outs.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    No crazy stories. Booze and guns don't mix.

Speaking of booze, guns and bad outcomes..,,

User Tag List