Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A new purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If you like the G22, you will really like the Glock 35.... just sayin.
    I agree. I'm no fo-Tay fan, but even I enjoy a G35. If I had to run checkpoints or do traffic stops, I would be really happy with one as a sidearm.

Also, welcome back Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mbacker_99 View Post
    I don't see any blued steel and wood in these pictures. Bill's account has been hacked.
    People grow, dude.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Well Ok then. I have been carrying a Gen 3 G35 since 2005 and AIWB since summer 2009.
    1. Stipple/magwell cuts/undercutting the frame a bit or at least rounding the strong side outboard trigger guard edge
    2. SCD
    3. Factory extended mag release taken down a bit
    4. Vickers Slide release
    5. Grip Plug
    6. Ameriglo Spartan Operators (Chuck H, Predator, I , and others used to cobble these together years before they became a "set")

To me, felt recoil with 165/180 GD is less than 124+p/127+p etc in a G19.
    YMMV Greatly
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 03-03-2017 at 12:55 PM.

My non-Glock sight default is towards Warren Tactical and/or Warren-Sevigny Carry sights; mine are black-on-back, but there are other options (tritium, fibre optics). I realize that this is against prevailing P-F/sight god philosophy, and lightning bolts and the hammer of Thor are imminently poised to flatten me, but the Glock steel sights actually aren't that bad. My thought is that if your're an operator in the Hindu Kush needing distance shots, or a USPSA Grandmaster there are probably better choices providing a more refined sight picture (especially with a thinner front blade/wider rear notch or a U-notch), but for the vast majority of my use (and I suspect others of us), which is relatively close-in self-defense and IDPA/GSSF, the choice of sights is secondary to mastery of trigger pull, and the OEM Glock sights are surprisingly effective-especially for fast acquisition.

My heretical cant is concluded. I patiently await for the powers to smite me accordingly...

Bill, try methodically playing/experimenting with the various backstraps first to adjust your vertical POA/POI is my suggestion. If no joy to be found there, you'll need to play with the various front/rear sight height options (but I probably hardly need to tell you of all people this, I realize).

My carry load for my Gen4 G22, HK P30L, VP40 and .40 Hi Power is either Federal 180gr HST or Remington 180 gr Golden Saber, both DocGKR vetted (and personally empirically tested) choices. For practice/match, I usually use inexpensive Federal Champion 180 gr, either aluminum- or brass-cased (frankly, usually the aluminum-it's a bit less expensive, and I've had zero problems with it-but if a major match is on my horizon, I'd probably use brass-cased, particularly for the HKs).
    Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-03-2017 at 02:04 PM.

This is why I still love this place. Thanks guys - I mean that.

I like a deeper rear notch, and like a narrower front. How about the Defoor's?

I've gotten comfortable with no backstrap. It's actually pretty ok. Points a tick high, but that works out OK on the draw for tracking the FS onto target (at my skill level, speed, etc).

I was pleasantly surprised I managed with my high 7s low 8s on my FAST times today. I put a LOT of that on reduced recoil and that MASSIVE gaping hole in the bottom of the gun (I'm used to the 1911/1935 - especially the later)...and its very forgiving comparatively.

JonInWA - we have an office in SEA. I'm there at least once a month. Let me buy you a beer one of those times.

Sounds like a great plan, Bill-we probably have a couple of things in common to kick around. I'll PM you my contact information. Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-03-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post

I've gotten comfortable with no backstrap. It's actually pretty ok. Points a tick high, but that works out OK on the draw for tracking the FS onto target (at my skill level, speed, etc).

I was pleasantly surprised I managed with my high 7s low 8s on my FAST times today. I put a LOT of that on reduced recoil and that MASSIVE gaping hole in the bottom of the gun (I'm used to the 1911/1935 - especially the later)...and its very forgiving comparatively.

JonInWA - we have an office in SEA. I'm there at least once a month. Let me buy you a beer one of those times.
    Bill I have been using defoors for a few months now, I really like them. Obviously lose out on the night sight thing but these are just place holsters until a rds falls onto my pistols

Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post

If you like a deep notch and narrow front try the Sevigny set by Warren. I have the straight blacks on my G34 and they are clean and fast for what I can do.

Bill, I run Warren Tactical rear sights with a .225 tall Dawson front. The .215 front sights that come with the Warren make my Glocks shoot high.

I'm an older, semi-retired cop now, but have been using a Glocks since ~'95. Some of my thoughts/comments what I've read in this thread which got me thinking.
    -Usually, on or off-duty, I'm carrying a Glock. The G17Gen4 is the issued and mandatory for work gun, with no mods allowed, although it's issued with Glock night sights. Off-duty, sometimes I'll carry a 1911, but each year, I'm noticing I'm carrying it less.

-Glock sights. I'm not one to bad mouth the polymer sights on my personally-purchased models as I'm actually ok with their appearance and haven't ruined or broken many over the 20+ years. I do have some a combination of stock Glock sights; steel Glock sights; Ameriglo steel sights (like the DeFoor type); and even one with an adjustable Kensight rear. Most of my Glocks I find shoot high as BLR has found with his. Usually a drop of one size on the rear dials it in good enough for me. For a G17Gen4, this would be from a 6.5mm rear to the 6.1mm. I suppose going up one size on the front would do the same as Ameriglo (and Warren) have various front sight heights, too. The stock Glock front is .165". For some reason, I remember the front sight in inches and the rear sight heights in millimeters.

-The dual recoil spring assembly (aka RSA). I'm not completely convinced the dual RSA move was the best thing, particularly for the G17Gen4. I've had a few of these RSAs not pass Glock's RSA test when new. I've had these RSAs take ~2,000 rounds before they've loosened up enough to fully close the slide doing Glock's test. On another model, a G19Gen4, I just received two new RSAs back from Glock after two still failed after shooting a few thousand using each RSA. I've just received the new G19Gen4 RSAs yesterday (3/2/17) and they both passed the RSA test. I'll let any readers research what this test is should you not already know. Historically, Glock's original plan was to use the same dual-spring RSA in the G17Gen4 and the G19Gen4 but Glock changed its mind and now provide 9mm versions which have weaker springs. I've toyed with the idea of using the .40 caliber versions of the RSAs, but only briefly tried it one time with good results. In fact, I'll go to Brownell's and put a couple of these .40 RSAs (for a G22Gen4 and a G23Gen4) in my "wish list" for my next parts order.

A work-around I've had good results is using a Gen3 RSA in either of these two Gen4 9mm models by using an aftermarket RSA adapter bushing. Here's one I've used:
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...prod41930.aspx

Edited to add another thought. Glock's Gen4 RSAs are on their 3rd or 4th revision and it's unknown if they're now gotten them right or not.

OTHER.
    The Glock firearms generally feel very good to me. I suppose after putting a few hundred thousand rounds through a platform I'd be used to just about any gun though. I carried Glock before it was mandatory but even in '95, it was becoming popular.
    Last edited by L-2; 03-04-2017 at 01:04 AM.

User Tag List