Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock sight tools

Glock sight tools

I want to be able to put new sights on my Glocks by myself and have a few questions.

1) How easy is it? to establish a baseline, I can detail strip a Glock so long as I have a "how to" on paper next to me.

2) Which front and rear sight tools should I buy? I see various companies offering one and I have no idea which are good, bad or indifferent.

3) Do they come with an instruction manual and if not, does anybody make one?

4) Do I need other tools like a vise, hammer, punch, threadlocker and if so, which?

Thanks.

It is very easy. Like everything else, take your time.

I've been using the MGW brand tool for over a decade now with no problems. You will also need a small nut driver for the front sight (I forget the size).

There should be some videos on Youtube I imagine.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisG19; 12-13-2011 at 03:38 PM.

I have a MGW GLOCK rear sight tool and a GLOCK brand front sight tool with the magnetic tip. Easy peezy.

Second for Vol Grads post. Not much to it except that I like Lock-Tite for the front sight and a light coat of grease for the rear. The sight manufacturers instructions should be read and followed.

Site Supporter
    I Loctite the front and rear.

After the rear is adjusted for zero, I remove the set screw and drip in red/270. When you put the set screw back in, it forces it in to the dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I have a MGW GLOCK rear sight tool and a GLOCK brand front sight tool with the magnetic tip. Easy peezy.
    I gotta look for that on Glock or Team Glock's site. Erik has bemoaned the lack of a magnetic tip. Who knew?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Sample of one, but I had a Glockmeister tool which worked fine for about 5 uses, then fell apart. I'm in the market for a different one - I'm still experimenting with sights.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

The GLOCK took is pricey at $30 (as an Armorer purchased direct from GLOCK). Prior to that I've used a couple of cheap versions that always broke in short order. I ordered some brand recently after reading great reviews on M4C. I can't recall right now what brand it was but it sucked too. I threw it in a range bag for emergency use only.

Disclaimer; I have broken one of these pricey GLOCK tooks already after less than a year of use. The plastic handle just snapped in half. They replaced it FREE though under "warranty" so I don't mind the inconvenience.

The issues I've had with cheap brands are either the handle breaking or the depth of the hex head not being right .... either doo deep so the screw won't stay put or too shallow so the hex driver won't stay on it and get a good enough grip to get the screw in/out.

Thanks guys

So, a MGW Glock rear sight tool and a Glock brand front sight tool and I'll be good to go?

Do the instruction on removing and replacing the front sight (which looks like the trickier operation to me) come with the tool?

Several of you advocated red locktite for the front sight, what about the rear? I can easily imagine setting up the rear in a way I think is right but discovering on the range that it isn't. Wouldn't blue locktite be better?

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Second for Vol Grads post. Not much to it except that I like Lock-Tite for the front sight and a light coat of grease for the rear. The sight manufacturers instructions should be read and followed.
    Same here. I really like the MGW tool compared to other versions I have used. I'm also a fan of the magnetic tip.

User Tag List