Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DotW 11: Bullseye Three Way

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    285 is fine when shooting a sissy 9 mm G-LOCK, but when using a real man gun in .45 ACP, then anything under 290 would be unthinkable...
    Apparently I managed to do the unthinkable. I shot a 272-4X using a 1911 shooting 230-grain WWB.

2H=95-2X
    SH=88
    WH=89-2X
    C Class shooter.

Guy's with PH's get cut some slack...

So, OK, jeeeezus. I knew I sucked, but really.

First, stone cold with a Colt / Wilson LWC in .38 Super, my usual carry these days. Magtech 130 FMJs, shot indoors at the Bullet Hol
    81-1x 2H
    57 SHO
    67 WHO

Name:  dotw11 004.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  48.1 KB
    The front sight is the stock Colt XSE crap, and a serrated ramp would be something I need to do in short order, but equipment didn't have much to do with it. I am not running the trigger well slowly, and it's a perfectly lovely trigger. Lots of work to do here.

Then, for giggles, I ran the Kahr that I rarely carry these days. PM9, with the short mag, running Lawman 115s.

68 2H
    64 SHO
    47 WHO

Name:  dotw11 003.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  54.2 KB

About what could be expected. I wonder why I would feel particularly comfortable carrying this thing?

I really didn't do well on this one. I fail to understand how I can shoot radically worse SHO than WHO. I was feeling nervy all weekend and maybe I was just anticipating due to lack of confidence. I have been working on lots of other things for quite some time and really neglecting my WHO/SHO skills, especially at any kind of longer distance, and it certainly shows here. One legit factor might be that I've messed with my grip lately. But I am glad I did the drill, even if it means I go on the internetz to publicly declare my lameness at this shooting task.

No pictures, but I did note the same general pattern as many others on this DotW: SHO shots going to the left, WHO shots going to the right (I am right handed.)

My congratulations to all the shooters who posted some excellent scores.

Two Hands: 89
    SHO: 49
    WHO: 79
    Total: 217

Sucked this week, but at least I still have this guy's endorsement:

[IMG] Operation Wolf by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I fail to understand how I can shoot radically worse SHO than WHO.
    We tend to train our SH trigger finger with less precision because it's usually balanced by a strong WH grip that masks minor trigger finger errors. For folks whose WH shooting is all (or at least mostly) done one-handed, the WH trigger finger actually gets a more honest work out during bullseye shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    We tend to train our SH trigger finger with less precision because it's usually balanced by a strong WH grip that masks minor trigger finger errors. For folks whose WH shooting is all (or at least mostly) done one-handed, the WH trigger finger actually gets a more honest work out during bullseye shooting.
    That definitely makes sense.

I had also wondered if I maybe developed better index/trigger finger isolation ability in my left hand than in my right because, when I was a kid I played the violin for a few years, and a right handed person uses their left hand for the dexterity-intensive fingering.

We are diminished
    Week 11 is now CLOSED.

Week 12 has been posted.

User Tag List