Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DotW 10: 99 Drill

We are diminished

DotW 10: 99 Drill

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 10: 99 Drill
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 12-December-2011.

by JodyH
    Range: 7-15yd
    Target: varies (see below)
    Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides
    Rounds fired: 99

The last few weeks' drills have been leading up to this. It is one of my favorite -- and most humbling -- drills.

This was developed as a way to practice fundamentals (marksmanship at speed, draws, and reloads) with limited time and ammunition. Individual drills are shot multiple times to provide actual training benefit rather than just serving as a test of current skill level.

• 7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: draw and shoot three (10 times, total 30 rounds)
    • 7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: draw, fire one, reload, fire two (10 times, total 30 rounds)
    • 10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: draw and shoot three (10 times, total 30 rounds)
    • 15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: draw and shoot three (3 times, total 9 rounds)

Either 4×6″ or 3×5″ cards can be used as targets. The 3×5 version is obviously significantly more difficult. All shots must be fired before the end of the PAR time; shots fired after the PAR count as misses.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, reduce the PAR for each string of fire by one second (so 1.5, 4.0, 2.5, and 4.0).

If you want to run the DotW from an open or duty/retention holster, please first shoot it from concealment and then report both scores.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • Start position (ready or concealed)
    • target used
    • score for each of the four strings of fire
    • total score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Shot this at the end of a long day at work. Wasn't able to shoot the smaller target since I didn't feel like i performed on the larger one. Plus, I wanted to go home.

Start position: Concealed from untucked t-shirt with Glock 19 + X300 in Raven MD Holster

Target used: The bigger one lol 4x6 card

Score for each of the four strings of fire:

7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: 27 (after finding my rhythm, i got the hang out of it)
    7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 24 (wasn't making par with fumbled reloads)
    10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: 19 (pushing myself to the point of el snatcho)
    15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 8 (dropped one with first set of rounds but told myself to slow down since i was way below par)

Total score: 78/99

We are diminished
    I'm too lazy to take a photo of my target, but I saved it.

• Start position: concealed; CCC Shaggy underneath untucked polo, CCC BMC mag pouch
    • target used: 3x5 box of Q-PT timed using the turning target system at NRA Range
    • score for each of the four strings of fire: 28, 29, 27, 7
    • total score: 91

Once again, Jody's drill proves frustrating. It's not enough to pull out a brilliant run once or twice. The 99 requires consistent performance: forty-eight draws, ten reloads, and ninety-nine low% shots. I can burn through the first magazine and tell myself this is it, this time I'm going to ace it without a miss... and then six rounds later I make a tiny mistake and:

The reload string is the worst. I have so much time it's stupid. But when I slow down, I still manage to shank one. Part of me wants to chop 0.5 from the PAR to make it more of a challenge but the other part of me says whoa dude, how about you shoot it clean once first?

I hate you, Jody. And after this week, hopefully everyone else will, too.
    Last edited by ToddG; 12-05-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: H8N on Jody

This pretty much sums up any drill I do using 3x5 cards or 2 inch dots. Just when I think I’m on a roll, feeling all proud of myself, giddy with excitement over a nice clean target, AAAUGH!...... SON OF A B….!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Start position: Concealed from untucked t-shirt - HK P30LS V3 - CBST at 3:30

Target used: 4x6

Score for each of the four strings of fire:
    7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: 18 (Slapped the trigger like it owed me money -going too fast sub 2.2 secs. Tough string right out of the gate)
    7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 27 (Felt like a break compared to first string - Lots of time to spare with solid reloads)
    10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: 24 (Feelin good with three 2.75 clean)
    15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 7 (Struggled to slow down in first string, but finished strong - 3.57 - 3.78 seconds. Lots of time on this one)

Total score: 76/99

The range I go to will allow draw but on the reloads the lanes are so narrow and the "shooter's box" do shallow that I cannot preform reloads without the ejected mag ending up past the firing line. As a result retrieving my empty mags becomes a problem. How much should I reduce the Par time if I don't reload or should I just simulate reloads and call it good?

GA Shooter....

Are you able to devise something to "catch " the mag? Maybe a box or trash can placed in front of you if space will allow. My indoor range has plywood that stops just shy of 1 1/2" from the floor, and my mags will sometimes find passage. I just use the brass broom to pull it back.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    The range I go to will allow draw but on the reloads the lanes are so narrow and the "shooter's box" do shallow that I cannot preform reloads without the ejected mag ending up past the firing line. As a result retrieving my empty mags becomes a problem. How much should I reduce the Par time if I don't reload or should I just simulate reloads and call it good?
    I'd add a second to the par time and do a tac-load instead. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'd add a second to the par time and do a tac-load instead. But that's just me.
    Perfect idea!!!!

Thanks

Well, that sucked blocky nuts.

[Obligatory excuses] It is 26 degrees (F) out, it was dusk, and I have a 102 degree fever.[/obligatory excuses]
    But hey, it was still better than sitting inside feeling like crap.

Situation: Gen4 G17 in Archangel AIWB, closed-front sweatshirt covering both holster and mag pouch
    Target: 3x5 card
    Scores per part: 21, 25, 20, 6
    Total Score: 72
    For each string, consistently put two on the card and one (not necessarily the last one--it was pretty random which one) about half an inch below the card. If the card had been a 4x5, I'd have had a much better score. [sigh]

Trigger control = sucks

That sequence with the reload (part II) really does give you a ton of time! Too bad I still couldn't keep them within 3" vertically. [sigh]

User Tag List