Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger reach comparison: SIG 226 E2 and Vertec/M9A3?

Question Trigger reach comparison: SIG 226 E2 and Vertec/M9A3?

Has anyone here managed to compare the trigger reach of a P226 with E2 grips and a Short Reach Trigger, with a Vertec or M9A3?

Am focusing on Glocks right now but am still looking for a double column TDA that is somewhat friendly to people with short fingers. I know I can probably go with a 225A1 or a 239, but if I can find a high cap service sized pistol, that would be my preferred route.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Padwan; 02-27-2017 at 04:09 AM.

I have medium sized hands with shorter than average fingers. Before I sold my P229-1 I found that the best combination for me were the standard plastic grips and the short reach trigger. It worked great for me and I somewhat regret selling it. I've never shot a Vertec Beretta so I unfortunately don't have anything I can add there.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I don't have fun sized hands, but having experience with both I believe the Vertec would be the better choice given the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have a 92g Vertec with a Wilson short reach trigger, but my 226 is all stock. If you can reach the trigger on a Gen4 Glock it should be easy to set up a M9A3 that will work for you. The stock 226 is a handful and I need to order the E2 grip for mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I have a 92g Vertec with a Wilson short reach trigger, but my 226 is all stock. If you can reach the trigger on a Gen4 Glock it should be easy to set up a M9A3 that will work for you. The stock 226 is a handful and I need to order the E2 grip for mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Yes, a Gen 4 Glock fits me just a little better than a Gen 3. I'm guessing the M9A3 might give enough options to play with out of the box (two types of grips.) Wilson short reach trigger is an option that a friend recommended to me. He's running an M9A1 but is partial to the Wilson trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Padwan View Post
    Yes, a Gen 4 Glock fits me just a little better than a Gen 3. I'm guessing the M9A3 might give enough options to play with out of the box (two types of grips.) Wilson short reach trigger is an option that a friend recommended to me. He's running an M9A1 but is partial to the Wilson trigger.
    I have a slight preference for the Gen4 over Gen3 as well, but the big advantage for me is being able to more easily reach the mag release. I just measured the distance from the inmost point on the backstrap to the inmost point on the trigger for a DA pull (1st number) and the width of the pistol approximately where your strong hand thumb and trigger finger would oppose each other (2nd number). The third number is simply the sum of the first two. (I have no idea if this is any sort of reasonable composite, but it's easy to calculate.)

Browning Hi Power - 2.60", 1.15", 3.75"
    Gen4 Glock 19 - 2.75", 1.16", 3.91"
    92 Vertec with Wilson short reach trigger - 2.85", 1.40", 4.25"
    CZ 75 (LOK G10 grips) - 2.95", 1.27", 4.22"
    Sig 226 (standard trigger and grips) - 3.05", 1.36", 4.41"

These numbers might not be much help to you, but hopefully it's marginally better than "X feels better than Y." (Realistically, I should probably only report two significant figures, so don't get caught up on the last decimal place.) To me, the Browning definitely feels the smallest. The Glock, Beretta, and CZ all feel pretty equivalent to each other for the DA pull, but I can't get quite as much trigger finger on the trigger of the CZ. For SA shots, the reach to the Beretta trigger is dramatically less, which I think is what leaves me with the impression that it feels smaller than the numbers reflect. The Sig feels way too big for me, so I guess there is probably some threshold beyond the size dimensions of the CZ/Beretta. I really should order the E2 grip...

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    To me, the Browning definitely feels the smallest. The Glock, Beretta, and CZ all feel pretty equivalent to each other for the DA pull, but I can't get quite as much trigger finger on the trigger of the CZ. For SA shots, the reach to the Beretta trigger is dramatically less, which I think is what leaves me with the impression that it feels smaller than the numbers reflect. The Sig feels way too big for me, so I guess there is probably some threshold beyond the size dimensions of the CZ/Beretta. I really should order the E2 grip...
    Thanks for taking the time to measure, pangloss. Much appreciated.

I've had a BHP and CZ before and I agree that the BHP feels really small compared to many other pistols. I also agree that while the numbers suggest the CZ to be short, the trigger reach does not prove to be so (for me, at least.) I guess things like trigger shape and grip angle may affect actual feel, in addition to one's hand size and shape.

Am tracking down an M9A3 now. A range buddy told me of an LGS that had a couple in stock as of a month ago. Hopefully, they still have at least one I can handle before making a decision.

I seem to recall a picture "on the net" of a Gen 4 Glock G19 (with no backstrap) and a Beretta 92FS (not a Vertec) with a tape measure circling the grip and trigger. I believe they were within 1/8" of each other.

Just to reiterate, the SIG short reach trigger made a world of difference for me. Definitely worth exploring.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Just to reiterate, the SIG short reach trigger made a world of difference for me. Definitely worth exploring.

I agree. The short trigger makes a much more dramatic difference than one would think, IME. It'd be a good stepping stone to try before doing the full swap to an E2 setup. It'd also avoid the ergonomic change that comes with that grip, which admittedly isn't earth shattering, but is noticeable if you're going back and forth.

FWIW.

User Tag List