Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Active Self Protection

Active Self Protection

I've subscribed to the ASP Youtube videos and found them instructive and helpful....anyone else watch them?

https://youtu.be/7tFdzh323ks

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Thanks for that link. Subscribed
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I only recently became aware of the channel when breakingtimes used some of their videos in a recent thread.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Active Self Protection

Yeah, I subscribed to that YouTube channel a little over a year ago. Mostly for the convenience it offers as a central collection point of real life video scenarios of typical situations I'd most likely find myself in (i.e., convenience store robberies, street muggings, etc.). Given the necessarily limited CCTV / video views and angles, I think the host, John, does a pretty good job setting up and explaining the conditions which are about to be viewed (sitting the stage, as it were). His commentary helps put things in context and while I may not necessarily agree 100% with his analysis, he nevertheless offers enough 'food for thought' to be pretty instructive and to at least get ya thinking. For the most part, his narrative and recommendations seems to be based on very sound self-defense principles. While not as common as the scenarios he typically presents, I'd like to see him offer up a little more "instruction" on home invasions (but I understand video captures of those situations are probably much more difficult to come by). Overall, I think his YouTube channel presents a very good learning tool.

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk
    Last edited by busykngt; 02-26-2017 at 11:53 AM.

I think busykngt summed it up pretty well. I have been a regular watcher and subscriber to ASP for a couple of years for keeping real world application of theoretical practice balanced. Between that and liveleak type coverage of actual situations I find it beneficial. Jon does a good job pointing out various points to consider and reasonable and logical analysis of events. The biggest take I have gotten from ASP is the use of empty hand techniques being so valuable and almost always employed at some time during every scenario presented. I ran across another similar site related to edged weapon attacks. I'll post a link when I find it.

Edit: Here is the site related to edged weapon assaults with review of 150+ knife attacks and common factors in each.

http://www.urbanfitandfearless.com/2..._medium=social

I also forgot to mention a similar newsletter type subscription I have which has articles as well as ASP stuff that revolves around real world use of firearms and mindset,techniques,tactics and training. That is Active Response Training. You can subscribe for a free weekly newsletter with a lot of good articles and video reviews of actual incidents.
    Last edited by octagon; 02-26-2017 at 12:30 PM.

There is a wealth of independent study to be done just watching those vids on mute even.

As to home invasions, not going to happen. Anyone with enough camera coverage to record a home invasion will have enough camera coverage outside, hardened doors and windows and/or dogs to avoid home invasion beyond targeted assassination attempts.

^ +1 to the mute button.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    ^ +1 to the mute button.
    Yeah. I like to listen to the commentary, but I watch once through on mute usually; so that can better form my own thoughts before listening to another's.

I really really like his channel - sometimes he doesn't vet the info he goes off of well enough but I can cut some slack and it's usually not pertinent to the DGU or assault.

I know I'm a bit of a new fish but his counter-ambush focused thought process really made sense to me.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    I really really like his channel - sometimes he doesn't vet the info he goes off of well enough but I can cut some slack and it's usually not pertinent to the DGU or assault.

I know I'm a bit of a new fish but his counter-ambush focused thought process really made sense to me.
    Counter-ambush is the method that Tom Givens espouses as being one of the most successful real world tactics.

His numbers are hard to argue against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List