Thread: Substitute front sight for S&W 3rd Gen pistols

Substitute front sight for S&W 3rd Gen pistols

I don't have one, looking for one.

I've developed a nice collection of 3rd Gen S&W autos (yes, call me a hipster), most nearly brand new shape. The only purpose made very high visibility sight I've found are the XS big dots. I like the Big Dots but would prefer other options.

What brand of pistol might have a front sight dovetail cut that would allow modification of their front sight to fit the S&W dovetail? While I'm overthinking this, what are the dimensions of the S&W dovetail?

Finally, what pastel colored t-shirt will look best under a white Armani jacket with an olive complexion?

Fiber optic okay? Dawson makes a front sight that should work. I don't have any personal experience with the setup.

Site Supporter
    Pink, duh!

I love my 3rd gens. Local store has a 4013. I don't love .40, I keep telling myself, but it would go so nicely with my pair of 3913s.

I've got the Dawson on one pistol, it's Ok but no Tritium of course.

What I really need is an easily adaptable and current production brand pistol whose sights can be filed to the right shape. Odd request, I know.

I look good in pink I'm told.

Site Supporter
    I had a set of Trijicons put on my newer 3913. They work well, but are exactly the same profile and height as the white dot Novaks they replaced.

Meprolight Tru-dot?

Pink is overdone. Cantaloupe Sunrise.
    Last edited by fly out; 02-26-2017 at 11:11 AM.

I'm a Gen 3 Smith hipster, too, and I have a reference library of duty guns that have burnt out sights. I've always wanted to put a thinner front on them, to see what kind of accuracy I can really wring out of them. I'll check out the Dawson's, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I really want is an Ameriglo from something else that I can make fit. I'll check out Trijicon and Meprolight though, thanks.

I like orange. The sights not the shirt.

What won't fit or realistically be made to fit, in case anybody is keeping score on this obscure problem. Sig, S&W M&P, and Colt.
    Last edited by 314159; 03-02-2017 at 07:11 AM.

User Tag List