Thread: Suggestions for Striker Fired Pistol to add to Beretta 92A1

Suggestions for Striker Fired Pistol to add to Beretta 92A1

New to semi auto pistols and really enjoying Beretta 92A1. I love everything about this pistol. I like the weight and size. I mainly target shoot and use for home and car defense. I like the safety and my wife really likes the safety. I like the visible hammer. I like the open slide design. Shot 400 rounds and no malfunctions using a variety of ammo. Anyway, my son has a Glock 19 and we shoot together. My SW 686 does not have a safety but most would agree with the open hammer and DA/SA design, accidental discharge seems almost impossible. I am enjoying shooting so much I want another pistol. Which Striker fired pistol would seem as safe and reliable as the 92A1? I was reading about the SIG 320 and it seems to be gaining serious interests with Government Agencies. I did read it had some function issues early on and someone on here commented about a fairly heavy trigger. I did replace my 92A1 trigger spring with D spring and really like it. Bottom line I will likely buy another pistol while Trump still in office! Soon also. Pistol shooting has become a family outing thing. I have a farm where we can shoot freely and safely. My wife and 2 "daughter in laws" have taken to pistols with children and concerned about self defense. The girls especially like the safety and decocker with firing pin block on the Beretta. I may just get another Beretta since I like it so much. I am seeing need for 2 pistols for when I am away from home and just wanted perspective from others who have thought this through. You Beretta (9 series) fans out there, will I regret it if I get a striker fired pistol?

Best bet is to go to a rental range and try a bunch of different options. I love my glocks but I'd say most people, including me, have had to customize them to get them to shoot their best. Myself, I've needed to undercut the trigger guards on all, and add grip force adapters to several. My G21 needed a custom grip reduction.

Many other options out there without the need to customize the grip.-- Vp9, sig 320, M&P 2.0.....

Going to a range and shooting the more popular ones is a good start. As stated by glockman above, those choices mentioned along with maybe a PPQ are really the top SF guns today and all do what they are supposed to do very well. I'd include the new CZ P10c, but good luck finding one to shoot. That said, none will give you near the flexibility as the 320 because of the modularity. Sig has made it really easy to invest in their platform to give you really just about any option, and size with one gun that you might want.

As far as you safety/reliability question. Yes. Just a note, like you, I've really liked, and still do, the da/sa manual of arms and have many of the sigs in that category and was really surprised the SF 320 has moved me away from those from a carry perspective. Good luck in your search.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I would strongly consider just getting a second Beretta if you really like yours. a striker fired design can provide some advantages, but if your family can safely and effectively operate the Beretta then I don't see any reason to buy into a striker fired pistol. At the end of the day, striker, SA/DA, and single action handguns are all just a means to launching a bullet at your target. I am a big fan of having backups of handguns you plan to use for personal protection, and you will save money in the long run on magazines, spare parts, etc, if you consolidate your handgun purchase to a single caliber & make.

If you're still determined to get a striker fired pistol, I certainly won't stop you, and you likely won't go wrong with most of the major manufacturers. Glock, the SIG P320 series, the HK VP9, the S&W M&P 2.0, and so forth. Stick to mainstream makes and models that have been adopted by law enforcement agencies or militaries and are proven performers. avoid Taurus, Caniks, and the budget import guns. You won't go wrong.

If you'd like a similar gun, but polymer, there is always the PX4 line-up. We have a couple of current threads on both the full size and the compact ...

PX4 Full Size https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-PX4-Full-Size

PX4 Compact https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....DA-SA-Glock-19

I have long owned a Beretta 92FS and three other hammer-fired, DA/SA Berettas. I also own 2 SIG P320s.

Some have complained about the P320 trigger pull being too heavy. Others have felt it was too light for safe carry. I personally would not want it any lighter if you ever intend to carry the pistol. If you are concerned about the lack of an external safety, there are striker-fired polymer-frame pistols that offer them. There is a Massachusetts compliant version of the SIG P320 that does. So do a number of Smith and Wesson M&Ps, the Ruger American and other Ruger models, and some FN FNS pistols, so that is certainly an option. Kahr pistols are striker-fired and lack an external safety but have a long, smooth trigger pull that is somewhat akin to that of a DAO hammer-fired pistol or revolver.

On the other hand, if you like hammer-fired, DA/SA pistols, there are tons of great options out there as well. I somewhat prefer the SIG Sauer P226 and 229 to the Beretta 92 series. There have been some very attractive offers on certified pre-owned (CPO) and law enforcement trade-in SIG P226 and 229 pistols recently, although many have been chambered in .40 S&W.

Another option you might consider if you like the manual of arms of a DA/SA pistol is the Walther P99. The P99 is somewhat unique among striker-fired pistols in that it has 2 different trigger pulls, DA and SA with a decocker button.
    Last edited by pblanc; 02-26-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Yea, I see the advantages of having a back-up of the same design and operation. I am strongly thinking of getting another Beretta. Maybe try a 92FS Inox just for a different look. I think there are a few differences like a non-captured guide rod in the FS, no accessory rail? I don't know if the FS has the internal recoil buffer? The 92A1 has some nice subtle changes. Pretty sure the mags and barrels are interchangeable. I know the slide operation and safety/ decocker are the same. I might shoot a PX model at range and compare. Are the PX models as reliable loading and ejecting? That open slide design seems inherently reliable.

If the 92 and your revolver(s) are the only handguns you currently own, I highly encourage just buying another (or two or three) 92 series guns. The strength of your love for them combined with magazine compatibility and holster compatibility is hard to beat.

You can always mix it up a bit and get a Vertec or Centurion model to try something a little different.

Once you have a back-up or two, then is the time to think about playing about IMO.

ETA:
    The open slide design doesn't really add anything reliability wise. It does, however, contribute to a high level of inherent accuracy as the barrel does not shift position during slide cycling. The PX series guns are also very reliable and have a slightly different take on enhancing accuracy by reducing felt recoil using a camming barrel system. The PX guns seem to shoot flatter, or have less muzzle rise than similar weapons. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by OnionsAndDragons; 02-26-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: More answers stuff

The Beretta 92FS does not have a captive recoil spring, which I see as a positive. It also does not have a removable front sight, so what you see is what you get. The 92FS does not have the internal frame buffer, but I wouldn't be concerned about that if you are sticking to 9mm. Beretta frames have occasionally cracked at high round counts, but it is much more common for the locking block to fail. Fortunately, that is easily replaced and not too expensive. The 92FS has a squared-off "combat" trigger guard instead of the rounded trigger guard of the 92A1, and no Picatinny rail.

I have not owned a PX4. I do own two Beretta Cougars and one Stoeger Cougar. The Cougars have a slide design and rotary barrel breech lock-up essentially the same as that of the PX4 full-size and compact. One of my Beretta Cougars is an 8040F in .40 S&W and the Stoeger an 8045F in .45 ACP. I have not had any feed or ejection issues with either. I also have a Beretta Cougar 8000D DAO in 9mm. I have found that the Beretta 8000 will not cycle reliably with some varieties of 115 grain 9mm Luger ammo. I usually stick to 124 grain, 9mm NATO spec ammo for it and it works fine.

User Tag List