Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SIG P320RX Compact

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    This is the second time this evening I'm quoting myself. I'm sure that says something less than desirable about me. . But in Uncle George's defense...

I made it to the big city tonight and got to fondle a 320 RX at Cabellas. Sure as sh*t, pressing the trigger in dryfire, the dot clunked down an MOA or six as the striker released. Repeatedly.

Then I recollected that on my own 320, I've seen the same phenomenon; specifically without a magazine inserted. It's just that with the dot, it draws one's attention much more.

So the hypothesis is that sans pressure from the magazine being in place, the little widget that rises from the frame (FCU) to release the striker will actually move the rear of the slide up slightly (making the dot drop). In my own 320, with a snap cap or live round in place this play seems to be nonexistent.

Anyway, I suspect that's what's going on.

t
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I bet you're correct.

The slide on the 320s I've handled definitely has a "clunk" in it when dry fired with no mag/snap cap in place. I could go get mine and demo via video.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    My attempt a video was largely a failure, so I'm not going to post any, but purposefully trying iterations:
    No Mag, Empty chamber - rear of slide moves up slightly.
    Empty Mag, Empty chamber - no movement
    Empty Mag, snap cap - no movement
    no mag, snap cap - movement
    mag with rogers tap-rack aid - also movement. Clearly it's related to tension from the mag spring.

It's one of the little things I don't like about the 320, but I can't say it's an issue. Unless maybe I lose all my mags but still have ammo and have to single load round and fire them.

Pretty fair detective work happening here, proving you all are smarter than you look. This also underscores my belief that the red dot is like having a trigger press coach watching you all the time.

So, for Timmie use, do you think we should zero the 320 a few inches high, so if we are on our backside, shooting with bloody gloves, minus a magazine, we have a better chance of hitting with that last cartridge?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

So, for Timmie use, do you think we should zero the 320 a few inches high, so if we are on our backside, shooting with bloody gloves, minus a magazine, we have a better chance of hitting with that last cartridge?
    For Timmie use, just leave the dot off.

proving you all are smarter than you look.
    Damning by faint praise, indeed...

In that case you've got to transition to a "eye of sauron" hold -- align the center of the big orange dot on the front with tops of the rear sight.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Pretty fair detective work happening here, proving you all are smarter than you look. This also underscores my belief that the red dot is like having a trigger press coach watching you all the time.

Will the "10-8 dot test" be a thing now?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    For Timmie use, just leave the dot off.
    His dots are DP Pros. He does not have to worry about leaving them off, it's a built in feature.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    I see some slight upward slide movement on my P320F with iron sights but I can't reproduce this in the P320C RX with Grayguns flat trigger. At least not a consistent "dip". I notice a very, very slight hop but it's not consistent and an inserted mag doesn't change it.

Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    I notice a very, very slight hop but it's not consistent and an inserted mag doesn't change it.
    Does a snap cap?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Does a snap cap?
    Yup. A snap cap in the mag eliminates all movement. I think loknlod is spot on - definitely pressure-related. After resting the gun and turning down the dot intensity I do see a dip now. I don't think it's a full MOA but it's there. Consistent dip with no mag or just chambered snap cap. Sporadic dip with mag inserted. Consistently gone with snap cap in mag. I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for the dot, as you said.

Just for kicks, I whipped out a G19, 17, and an M&P9. I see slide movement on the Glocks (although much less than the Sig) and none on the M&P. I guess some movement is normal when striker is released without pressure from below but this is my first mini red dot and the sight alignment change is more obvious.

Learn something new all the time here.

With dots on, I see no movement in the Walther Q5, a little bit in the Glock and a lot in the 320 RX (without a magazine).

I forgot I had a bag of iron sighted 320 pistols around, and grabbed a stock compact 320 .357 Sig and .40. I could detect no movement in either, but am not sure if this is a red dot phenomenon or something about individual pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have noticed this dot-dipping dilemma as well, except with me it's caused by the major muscled in my torso, arms, and hands tightening as I jerk the hell out of the trigger. I'm half kidding, but I do notice the P320 is not kind to me taking a few week break from shooting. I think this has a lot more to do with the RDS than the P320 of course. I'm going to test this when I head to the range on Monday, again after a few week hiatus. I'll start with the dot off and see if it's the disaster that my last range trip was.

User Tag List