Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sig Master Instructor Class

I concur with SLG's assessment on the class and it was nice to shoot with you again. I was previously embedded with that PD so I got invited to come to the class. I was the only dude in class running a SIG (full size 320). I also have to commend SIG for providing that level of training for free to LE around the country. Pretty cool

The class had a lot of teaching points and instructor development aspects as Scott broke down the "whys" of the drills he would have use do.

I enjoyed the class despite being mentally geeked up because a pretty good shooter I know told me he did not pass the 90% on the pistol. A lot of peer pressure given I knew most of the guys in class and many are very experienced instructors. That said, this type of peer pressure is a good thing.

I ended up with only one of those sweet patches that SLG posted earlier from the rifle class. I decided to forget how to shoot a pistol from the 25 and missed out on the required 90% score. Tough day.

As for the difficulty (vs FBI qual) I am not an FBI guy but I shot it cold in Tom Givens' instructor class last summer. I shot the FBI qual 60/60 but was only 20/25 on the SIG qual (unfortunately). I would consider it more difficult considering the 8" scoring zone and the scoring method (if it touches the line it's out, like NRA TPC).

Highly recommended.

Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scott

Disregard my last post in the HSI thread. It was great to shoot with you again as well, and I wish you were still in the area to run comps and classes.

I think Luke was asking about the FBI Instructor school, rather than the basic qual. The FBI has historically seen up to a 50% failure rate at the school, and that is pretty well distributed among agents and outside personnel who were invited. In the last 10 years or so, they have changed the way they test to allow for a higher passing rate. The standards are the same, its just that they restructured the class to help bring weaker shooters up to speed. I see that as a win. In the class I was in, we had a Tier one guy come through and he was one of two students who failed. It happens, and stress can get to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    According to Scott, Sig fixed the issue that caused the gun to fail the FBI test, and it is now gtg. I certainly hope so, given that big A and DHS will now have them.
    This is awesome.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Hammertime
    I've shot 320's before, and was lucky enough to have Ron Cohen give me a detailed tour of the inside of the gun when it first came out. Nonetheless, I came away more impressed by it this time. The insides really are beefy compared to other polymer wondernines, and the small grip frame is a dream for me to use. Even the medium is quite acceptable. The gun happens to be very well set up for how I like to hold and use guns, so there is nothing to change when I pick one up. As long as they prove reliable and durable, I think they are a very promising choice, and I have to keep telling myself there is no point in getting one.
    I got one on a lark and it is very much impressing me. IMO it is the "system" that can match or beat Glock going forward. Can't speak much to reliability, but dang it seems well built. I was decidedly not a Sig fan, but this gun has won me over a bunch

It's not secret, but I don't know if Sig wants it out there. Surf may know better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    SLG is correct that it is not a huge secret but Sig Sauer does emphasize that they do prefer that people not have prior knowledge so that they don't just specifically practice just the quals. With my relationship it would definitely not be good for me to post the actual quals.
    Understood, thanks guys. Do you have any thoughts on other tests or standards that might be comparable to their test, and/or a predictor of success?
    Last edited by ST911; 02-28-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

if you can guarantee hits on an 8 inch circle at 25 yards, in a reasonable amount of time, youll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Understood, thanks guys. Do you have any thoughts on other tests or standards that might be comparable to their test, and/or a predictor of success?
    Agree again with SLG in being consistent @ 25 yards as this is where guys mostly drop misses. This in turn puts a lot of pressure on them to run the remainder clean which is what causes simple mistakes or misses later in the qual that finish them off. As I mentioned, game day player and don't get rattled if you drop a miss or two early.

Be efficient and quick on manipulations or movement, as in move quick whether it is positional, moving or a manipulation. In other words, be especially quick and efficient when not shooting and give yourself more time on the sights and trigger and things will be fine.

You cannot see the hit zones so understand holds on a silhouette as in quartering a target. Basic concept but some seem to forget this in the moment. You will have the opportunity to become familiar with the target and use a reference point for holds. I have seen and shot variants of the master qual and there are 2 different targets with one that includes a smaller sized 6" hit zone in the center of mass, so things can change up from class to class.

User Tag List