Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Austin, TX

RFI: Austin, TX

I'll be there for a couple of days for work, and my SO will be joining me for fri-mon. Seems like most of the stuff to do is pretty obvious (eat bbq, drink) and we're down for that and I've read lots of info on what allegedly makes one spot better than the others.

I'm looking for suggestions of the non-eating/drinking variety. And ideally specific examples (I.e. "Go on the wine tour from xyz company" not "go on a wine tour"). So won't have a car, but might rent one for the sun-mon timeframe if there's good reason to get out of town.

There are wine tours that are chauffeured.

Stay off six street, stupid places, stupid games, stupid prizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Though it was a long time ago, when I was stationed at Hood, my roommates and I essentially lived in Austin on the weekends.
    I preferred 4th street over 6th street, but I wouldn't necessarily avoid 6th. Compared to other cities Austin is pretty laid back and i thought (and still think) the area was far less hostile then other cities I have lived in. The Gingerman (on 4th) is to this day, my favorite beer garden. And right next door was one of the best Martini bars I've ever been to. Also in that area was a cool bar called the Speakeasy that was hidden down an alley. If you're better half likes swing dancing, it's worth finding.

The live music scene is awesome and it's worth looking into who might be performing in town. Stubbs and La Zona Rosa are two venues that come to mind for having awesome shows. But similar to Nashville, talented artist could be playing at just about any bar.

The university area is pretty interesting and might be a good draw for some folks. If you find yourself in that area, grab some pizza at Conan's.

If you're there in the spring time, you just might be there during blue bonnets time. If so, head out of the city to Fredericksburg, Tx. Take in the hill country in its most beautiful time of the year. Enchanted Rock is a good hike. Take your woman two stepping in Luchenbach (doesn't matter if you know what your doing or not).

In the summer evenings swing out to the Congress Ave Bridge to see the bats. It's really an impressive sight.

Austin also has a big running and cycling crowds if that that's something that interests you. Lots of outdoor stuff to do along Barton Springs.

And just in case you're in the market, Austin has several top notch boot makers that are worth visiting. Someday, I'll return to Austin and order the Cactus & Shark boots from Heritage Boot Co.

Hope you have a good trip.

Site Supporter
    Don't know what your interests are so here's a stream of consciousness of things to do around here:

In town there's the Bob Bullock state history museum. The capitol is interesting too, real pretty at night as well.

The Blanton Museum of art in UT. Laguna Gloria is another, much smaller art museum a little out of town.

Zilker Park - take a jog around Town/Ladybird lake. See the Botanical Garden and there's Umlauf sculpture garden too. Nature and Science center is there too, but better for little kids.

Find some Moontowers. I've seen them, but always driving by "Hey, that's a moontower!"

Bats under the congress street bridge come back from Mexico sometime in March. They fly out at sunset and people like to watch them go. There's a hotline you can call to get updates. Taking a cruise is a good way to see them, and to get a different view of the city. There's an overpass on 35 in Round Rock that has an even bigger colony that stays year round.

The blue bonnets are out now, have been for a week or so. They'll be around for a few more weeks, but other wildflowers grow up around them so they're not as noticeable. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower center will be pretty this time year.

Mount Bonnell, highest point in Austin, will have some pretty views. Penny Backer bridge has nice views too.

The Oasis on Lake Travis for drinks around sunset will have nice views too.

For BBQ most everyone's heard of Franklin's. There's usually a wait, but you can preorder if you order more than 5 lbs. Or skip the line and head down to Lockhart and try Kruezs or Blacks. Blacks has a place on Guadalupe now, but I've only been to the one in Lockhart. Black's is open on Sundays, we liked to do church on Saturday and head down there on Sunday, get there at opening, and take it to go to the state park for a picnic.

Chicken Sh*t bingo a Ginny's little longhorn saloon.

Master Pancake is a comedy act that's a little like Mystery Science Theater 2000, but more off color. You can see if they have anything going on when you're here. They tend to sell out fast though so best to plan ahead.

Esther's Follies is another comedy troupe that's down on 6th street.

The Broken Spoke.

Gruene Hall and the Gristmill in New Braunfels.
    Last edited by JclInAtx; 03-26-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: thought of more

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    Though it was a long time ago, when I was stationed at Hood, my roommates and I essentially lived in Austin on the weekends.
    I preferred 4th street over 6th street, but I wouldn't necessarily avoid 6th. Compared to other cities Austin is pretty laid back and i thought (and still think) the area was far less hostile then other cities I have lived in. The Gingerman (on 4th) is to this day, my favorite beer garden. And right next door was one of the best Martini bars I've ever been to. Also in that area was a cool bar called the Speakeasy that was hidden down an alley. If you're better half likes swing dancing, it's worth finding.

The live music scene is awesome and it's worth looking into who might be performing in town. Stubbs and La Zona Rosa are two venues that come to mind for having awesome shows. But similar to Nashville, talented artist could be playing at just about any bar.

The university area is pretty interesting and might be a good draw for some folks. If you find yourself in that area, grab some pizza at Conan's.

If you're there in the spring time, you just might be there during blue bonnets time. If so, head out of the city to Fredericksburg, Tx. Take in the hill country in its most beautiful time of the year. Enchanted Rock is a good hike. Take your woman two stepping in Luchenbach (doesn't matter if you know what your doing or not).

In the summer evenings swing out to the Congress Ave Bridge to see the bats. It's really an impressive sight.

Austin also has a big running and cycling crowds if that that's something that interests you. Lots of outdoor stuff to do along Barton Springs.

And just in case you're in the market, Austin has several top notch boot makers that are worth visiting. Someday, I'll return to Austin and order the Cactus & Shark boots from Heritage Boot Co.

Hope you have a good trip.
    Austin has changed a lot in the past few years. Sixth street is now overrun by homeless from the nearby shelter and street robberies are a much bigger problem than the used to be. Avoid sixth street unless you want MUC practice.

The Hula Hut on Lake Austin. Delish salsa. Terrific food. Solid margaritas. And if you're into deserts, the Tres Leches is really on point.

All the other usual haunts have already been mentioned.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Site Supporter
    Gingerbread pancakes at Magnolia Cafe. The one on South Congress.
    We've gone to Austin just for that.

http://www.magnoliacafeaustin.com/ma...e-south-1920-1
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    If you get a car I recommend The Salt Lick BBQ in Dripping Springs, just south of Austin. World famous BBQ and they now have their own vineyard. The have a seperate building for the wine tasting / store on site. It will let you kill two birds with one stone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you get a car I recommend The Salt Lick BBQ in Dripping Springs, just south of Austin. World famous BBQ and they now have their own vineyard. The have a seperate building for the wine tasting / store on site. It will let you kill two birds with one stone.
    Definitely an interesting place for a lunch visit.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Catch a race at Circuit of the Americas. Any race. It is a great track. Moto GP is there in March and the only US race this season.

User Tag List