Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New bob Lee swagger novel presale

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Didn't Hot Springs deal with the ghosts of Earl's father, who liked to beat on Earl's bother and utilize "working" boys while on "church retreats"? I seem to recall Earl faked Charles's death scene, in order to preserve the Swagger name.

I haven't read the new book, but it seems tough to square Charles the closeted pedophile who owes silence to Hot Springs mob types with Charles the gang-buster of the Purvis years.
    Interesting point -- I had forgotten about that side story from Hot Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Didn't Hot Springs deal with the ghosts of Earl's father, who liked to beat on Earl's bother and utilize "working" boys while on "church retreats"? I seem to recall Earl faked Charles's death scene, in order to preserve the Swagger name.

I haven't read the new book, but it seems tough to square Charles the closeted pedophile who owes silence to Hot Springs mob types with Charles the gang-buster of the Purvis years.
    I don't remember that specifically. All I remember is something about Earl retrieving his dead drunk father from a male brothel specializing in young boys from the black section of town (this was Arkansas in the 1930s-1940s).

I am about 80% done with the book and consider it the best thing Hunter has written. I was discussing it today with Wayne Dobbs and he pointed out a passage. In it Charles Swagger, a lawman from Arkansas who has been in WWI and many gunfights is briefing some less experienced members of the Bureau of Investigation before they move in on Dillinger:

“You can put your hand on the grips under your jackets. That way, you aren’t disobeying no orders. But if Johnny wants to go hard, you will have to draw and shoot fast, making sure you see both the gun and him as you squeeze. You will find the point of aim naturally, but only if your eyes are driving the action. You don’t shoot until the gun is low in your vision and the barrel is pointed right at him, right at that white shirt, which ain’t gonna be but two feet ahead of you, then you fire. Got that?”

It's a no brainier to me that Earl was way more of a bad ass than Bob. I'm still mulling over that with Earl and Charles, but I'm thinking Earl.

I've gotten far enough into the book to have me lusting after a Colt Monitor version of the BAR http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=1929. I figure enough of my guns that are taking up space, along with some stocks and mutual funds that are taking up space, I should be able to afford one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    It's a no brainier to me that Earl was way more of a bad ass than Bob. I'm still mulling over that with Earl and Charles, but I'm thinking Earl.
    I think Earl is the ultimate badass of the lineage, and with strong moral character. Earl Swagger inspired Larry Correia's character of Earl Harbinger, who is the ultimate badass of the world in that story universe.

Tonight I poured some bourbon over a single large ice cube and started reading. Enjoying it so far.
    Last edited by Robinson; 05-26-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think Earl is the ultimate badass of the lineage, and with strong moral character. Earl Swagger inspired Larry Correia's character of Earl Harbinger, who is the ultimate badass of the world in that story universe.

Tonight I poured some bourbon over a single large ice cube and started reading. Enjoying it so far.
    I will have to check out the Harbinger books.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I will have to check out the Harbinger books.
    It's the Monster Hunter International series. Monster Hunter: Alpha, the third in the series, is mostly about Earl himself although another major character also plays a key role in it.

Site Supporter
    I just finished G-MAN. I enjoyed it. I was surprised that Hunter managed to make Charles Swagger not only likeable but an honorable if flawed character. He also made me wonder about the abuse bobby lee suffered and described in Hot Springs. Bobby lee is described as sick and is burning himself with cigarettes in G-man. Hunter even made a pair a Grumleys honorable! Well criminal "hillbilly" honor anyway. This book makes me wonder about Charles father. I imagine a him a Marshall from FT Smith like Rooster Cogburn in true grit! Hunter already did a samurai book. Maybe he can do a western next. I also wish he would do more Earl swagger books. Earl in Oklahoma with jelly Bryce in the 1950s. Earl in Texas after WW2. Lots of great Texas lawmen to put in. Frank Hammer, Lone wolf gonzaullas, Charles Askins Jr not to mention Texas/ Las Vegas gangster benny binion. That could work into a bob Lee novel. Bob lee in Vegas.

The character of Charles Swagger as portrayed in G-Man can be squared with what we learn of him in Hot Springs by remembering that the latter book describes Earl's impressions and ideas about Charles, not all of which are necessarily accurate, and does not include the depth of detail which we learn about him in G-Man.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List