Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New bob Lee swagger novel presale

Site Supporter
    It's sounding more and more like this is a book I will enjoy so I plan to buy it soon.

Site Supporter
    I like Stephen hunter's books enough that I have all the swagger books in hardback and paperback. I reread them. Some I don't reread. Like the NASCAR one. I figure writers are like actors. I don't like every movie they make or book they write.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I am reading it and enjoying it. I am 10% into it. It flashes back and forth between the present and the 1930s when Bob lee Swagger's grandfather was a sheriff in Arkansas and gets tapped to work for the predecessor of the FBI because of his gunfighting experience and prowess.

I find these books uneven. The one's involving Bob Lee's father and grandfather tend to be pretty good; but some of the ones with Bob Lee are way over the top--like the Samurai sword one.
    Stephen Hunter even made fun of himself Re: 47th Samurai and Night of Thunder in the Third Shooter.

I think it was in The Third Bullet anyway.

Now I have to go back and read it again!
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 05-19-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

The last one with his kid was horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty White Boys might be his best novel.

It's a lot like Star Wars, where George Lucas made an amazing movie because he was struggling with his limits, but then later when he had all the money and creative freedom in the world you saw awful self indulgent shit like the threatened backstreet boys cameos as jedis and Jar Jar Binks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Stephen Hunter even made fun of himself Re: 47th Samurai and Night of Thunder in the Third Shooter.

I think it was in The Third Bullet anyway.

Now I have to go back and read it again!
    I think I have to go back and revisit all of them. Frenchy was a good, black character, I thought there would be more of a follow through with the marine sniper who turned out to be Bob the Nailer's long lost son........see, I need to re-read, I've forgotten his name.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
    Frenchy was a good, black character
    Frenchy was a punk. But yeah, he was a good character.

Finished it today, it was pretty good.

I am about halfway through and think it is Hunter's best novel yet.

As I think I posted, it deals with Bob Lee Swagger's grandfather, Charles Swagger, who was a skilled and experienced lawman in Arkansas in the 1930s. The gun handling and pistol info is dead on. Charles Swagger served in WWI in both the Canadian then the US armies and won a battlefield promotion and ended the war as a major. He has killed a number of criminals in gunfights and is recruited to go assist the Bureau of Investigation in the year before it became the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He is sent to Chicago where they are heavy on law school grads and short on people skilled with firearms. He winds up working with Melvin Purvis to take down the likes of Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd.

His favorite gun is the Colt 1911, and it goes into details about the little things he does to his gun to give it a better trigger pull and make it more reliable.

Didn't Hot Springs deal with the ghosts of Earl's father, who liked to beat on Earl's bother and utilize "working" boys while on "church retreats"? I seem to recall Earl faked Charles's death scene, in order to preserve the Swagger name.

I haven't read the new book, but it seems tough to square Charles the closeted pedophile who owes silence to Hot Springs mob types with Charles the gang-buster of the Purvis years.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List