Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QuickClot question

QuickClot question

I'm going to start getting some med gear together. At a previous agency, I got our guys TacMed's Downed Operator Kits w/ QC combat gauze. This time around, it's out-of-pocket for myself as a Deputy Sheriff, plus personal vehicles,etc. In looking on Amazon, I'm looking at getting the standard DOK and then add some QC.

My question is: Should I just get the standard (3"x4yds) Z-fold Combat Gauze, or would it be more cost effective to get more of the smaller (3"x24") packages?

https://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Comb...t+combat+gauze
    https://www.amazon.com/QuickClot-Com...t+combat+gauze
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Adva...t+combat+gauze

My understanding is that I really can't save any "leftovers" after breaking the seal. For domestic LE/personal use, should a 2 ft. length be good enough? With multiples of the smaller packets on hand, there's no rule that I can't use more than one, if necessary.

I'm just trying to come up with the best bang-for-the-buck/distribution of resources. Please let me know if my thinking is faulty, or if I am overlooking something.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I just completed my TCCC class, and I would say that the Z-Fold 4-yard package would be the better solution. Given how much you might have to pack a wound, that 24" package probably just won't be anywhere near enough.

Longer is better...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I like the DOK very much. For gauze, what you'll need depends on what on the body has been opened. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Remember, there's a bunch of gauze in the OLAES too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwD...ature=youtu.be
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Gauze is definitely one item where morer is much betterer.

It's more expensive but you may want to look at Celox as well. It's been recommended to me by a team medic for agency-wide use as it has been proven to work better on persons taking coagulants, if that's a consideration for you. It would seem that stateside with aging officers and those having possible medical conditions, Celox is a better choice for general police issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Longer is better...
    That's what she said...
    And yes, go with the longer QC Gauze.
    Heck, I've got two packs of QC in my range trauma kit, plus two packs of regular gauze.

I would highly recommend getting a Celox kit of some kind. I use a bunch of the Z-Fold/RAPID every year (thanks PF secret santa) and they seem to work the best when applied correctly. I have used QC and CG, the Celox appears to stop bleeding slightly faster and with less effort in my experience. Celox is also having great success in the Russian/Ukrainian conflict right now as it's standard issue to those forces.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

One of my local paramedics suggested avoiding Celox as it can cause an anaphylactic reaction for those with shellfish allergies. Anyone have further info?
    Last edited by DpdG; 02-25-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: I cannot spell
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    One of my local paramedics suggested avoiding Celox as it can cause an anaphylactic reaction for those with shellfish allergies. Anyone have further info?
    From Celox's website:

18. Do people with shellfish allergies have allergic reaction to Celox as a result of the chitosan?
    There have been no known or suspected allergic reactions as a result of using Celox since its launch in 2006. The chitosan has been extensively tested on individuals with suspected and confirmed shellfish allergy, none of the test subjects demonstrated any dermal sensitivity when tested against the chitosan material.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List