Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QuickClot question

Do you work in a cold climate or have any blood thinners on board? The last TECC class I attended (3/16) they suggested Celox/Chito Guaze since they work independent of the body's clotting cascade.

My personal kits include hemostatic gauze AND z fold regular gauze to pack behind it before applying a pressure dressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Curious where these recommendations for Celox vs Quikclot are coming from aside from extrapolation of their proposed mechanism of actions.

No current head to head studies I am aware of comparing either in anticoagulated or hypothermic patients. Would appreciate being pointed to any studies that suggest otherwise.

Both have demonstrated their ability to work in limited animals models or non-trauma procedures for both patient populations.

At this time without more data, get more of what you can afford and focus on training.
    Last edited by Yute; 02-26-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, all else being equal, more is better. I was just wondering if there were any possible advantages to having more packs of smaller length vs. few packs of the longer length.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Do you work in a cold climate or have any blood thinners on board? The last TECC class I attended (3/16) they suggested Celox/Chito Guaze since they work independent of the body's clotting cascade.

My personal kits include hemostatic gauze AND z fold regular gauze to pack behind it before applying a pressure dressing.
    I escaped from the Midwest. Back home in the Corpus area.

For those who use it a lot (CONUS)....Do you typically wind up packing in the whole four yards, or is there generally a bunch left over that has to be tossed?
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 02-27-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

If you have a knife or trauma shears, you can always cut the longer ones to shorter lengths--it is harder to make the shorter ones longer...

As to how much is used, that all depends on the size of the hole(s).
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-27-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, all else being equal, more is better. I was just wondering if there were any possible advantages to having more packs of smaller length vs. few packs of the longer length.
    The only advantage I could see is if the packaging is compromised, you lose less material and have more packages available. That probably makes a better case for more packs of longer lengths.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    If I was offered to use four packs of 1 yard gauze, or one pack of 4 yard gauze... I'd pick one pack. Reasons being: I wouldn't want to have to stop to open anymore packs than necessary. Worse case scenario is your gloves are covered in blood, making any plastic packaging slippery, and hard to open. In the same regard, I full accept that everything inside the kit will be tossed in the end, even if the individual items packaging isn't opened, simply because there will probably be blood on it.

All good, valid points. Thanks for the feedback.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List