Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PD Developments and Revelations from a Qual Day

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    It came from two of your PD's FTU guys at a Colt Armorer Class held in NJ (don't recall what town, done too many there to recall) in 2013. They went into detail how the primers on the lead free ammo were eroding strikers and breech faces on Glocks. Said G21s were the real problem. No idea on the whys and wherefores, but it came from folks inside.
    I am aware of similar issues with an agency issuing G22 Gen4s and using lead free training ammo exclusively. Several hundred strikers had to be replaced due to erosion, some to the point they made the weapon unreliable. They still use lead free training ammo exclusively...

Re breech face erosion ...

A very large metropolitan agency in southern Cal had this problem with their G22s and Win NT. Un-officially, info was shared with those they knew. Issues like that are why they now issue 9mm M&Ps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    It came from two of your PD's FTU guys at a Colt Armorer Class held in NJ (don't recall what town, done too many there to recall) in 2013. They went into detail how the primers on the lead free ammo were eroding strikers and breech faces on Glocks. Said G21s were the real problem. No idea on the whys and wherefores, but it came from folks inside.
    Interesting. Like I said first I am hearing about it, but that is not very surprising.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    I am aware of similar issues with an agency issuing G22 Gen4s and using lead free training ammo exclusively. Several hundred strikers had to be replaced due to erosion, some to the point they made the weapon unreliable. They still use lead free training ammo exclusively...
    What is the impetus behind using lead free training ammo, anyway? a proper HVAC system and/or outdoor range seems like a much more sensible solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What is the impetus behind using lead free training ammo, anyway? a proper HVAC system and/or outdoor range seems like a much more sensible solution...
    Sensible and government in the same sentence are akin to Diogenes' search for the proverbial honest man.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Indoor ranges are a must if you're vulnerable to adverse weather and scheduling is inflexible. In addition to weather, encroachment, adverse regulation, travel, set up, and storage can all be issues outdoors. Lead free has advantages from a range rehab and maintenance perspective, as well as the occupational health issues that must be navigated by organizations/institutions.
    Last edited by ST911; 02-27-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Here is to hoping the price for the Sport utility ammo comes down from makers like polycase. Then there could be leadfree ammo with greater safety from splashback and the ability to shoot steel at closer ranges. The price is getting better but still not there for large purchases and budget conscious buyers like .gov at the local levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Indoor ranges are a must if you're vulnerable to adverse weather and scheduling is inflexible. In addition to weather, encroachment, adverse regulation, travel, set up, and storage can all be issues outdoors. Lead free has advantages from a range rehab and maintenance perspective, as well as the occupational health issues that must be navigated by organizations/institutions.
    Unless your PD just doesn't care.

We qualify in snow, heat, ice and pouring rain.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    We qualify in snow, heat, ice and pouring rain.
    We do as well. Train in the same conditions you may have to operate in.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    We do as well. Train in the same conditions you may have to operate in.
    While that is the result that is not the reason.

The PD is just cheap.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List