Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PD Developments and Revelations from a Qual Day

One of the articles I keep circulating around the command meetings/mailboxes.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=12374

I liked that it was short and it had a solid administration aspect to it.

"Confidence lowers stress levels and fosters better decision making. I truly believe that many officer involved shootings that have gone wrong were due to the officer panicking because they did not have confidence in their skillset. They felt that they were “behind the curve” and therefore had to react “faster”, which could result in a questionable shooting."

So many times people above us get wrapped up in politics. Everyone occasionally needs a reminder. A constant barrage of subtlety sometimes works, and other times it calls for brute force conflict. This to me was subtle enough and got us a couple of hundred rounds allowed annually.

When we were carrying .40SW pistols, we experienced QA/QC issues with the white box training ammunition we used. Attempts to address this with Winchester were unsuccessful. At the same time we were addressing problems with the issued pistol and the company we dealt was actually willing to talk, address the issues.

When we shifted to 9mm weapons, we adopted Federal HST for duty and both Fed as well as Speer for training.

The attached flyer is just one example of QA/QC issues.

For whatever reason I can't edit the above post. What I meant to say is that we got an ADDITIONAL couple ofmhundred rounds annually.

Site Supporter
    The most common injury among police firearms instructors is a bad back-- from continually lowering the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    When we were carrying .40SW pistols, we experienced QA/QC issues with the white box training ammunition we used. Attempts to address this with Winchester were unsuccessful. At the same time we were addressing problems with the issued pistol and the company we dealt was actually willing to talk, address the issues.

When we shifted to 9mm weapons, we adopted Federal HST for duty and both Fed as well as Speer for training.

The attached flyer is just one example of QA/QC issues.
    Thanks.

Anyone have anything on ra9t specifically?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Yikes. That is scary.

I've been "in charge" for about 18 months. Except for the time when I was out on maternity leave, we've been to the range and practiced control tactics practically every month. Things are improving but at a pace that I found frustrating. Until I on-boarded two new employees. One of them has already been through FLETC and is an instructor in a non-FA discipline. This is someone who works the road and is supposed to be able to run a pistol, in theory.

I like to run the single stack version of "The Test" and Tom's 3-M drill to get a cold baseline. Holy mother of god, it was bad. On the dummy round, the guy starts to unload his pistol and it just went downhill from there, like running the slide after a speed reload. I had always thought of Cooper's combat triad as a list of things to obtain. I never realized that they were a handy categorization of why people fail in fights.

To quote Dr. Darrell Ross' study of gunfight winners "Training once a year is not a viable mode of learning…”

If you want to be really depressed, I like to think I'm in an ideal situation. I only am responsible for six employees, I have access to ammo, a range, and get to set the schedule. I've got one guy who can shoot really well but he works on his own time. He's the only one. I've got a couple of folks who could be pretty good if they'd dry practice regularly but they just don't care because they regularly exceed the pitifully low institutional standards. My conclusions is that they don't see the extra work as relevant.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Can you read powerpoint slides to students in the correct order?
    Can you chew tobacco or seeds?
    Can you stand behind officers and scream "front sight!"
    Can you begin every third sentence with "In combat..."
    Can you count to fifty? (Doing 10-15 at a time is a reasonable accommodation.)
    Can you sign your name to pre-printed forms?
    Can you score targets? I refer to these types as "target graders".

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Can you score targets? I refer to these types as "target graders".
    I really enjoy watching the "instructors" walking down the target range with a reference card for scoring.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I wear flip flops so I can use my toes to count with. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

User Tag List