Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS M2 vs Glock 43 w/gadget

I'm of the general opinion to suck it up and carry a service sized weapon unless working true NPEs.

That said, I prefer the PPS M1 to the 2.

Does the thickness really matter that much? I know the CZ is a little chunky, but how much do you truly gain going to a single stack? Would it be that much more inconvenient to carry a fight worthy gun like a G26 or an HK P30sk?

If single stack is really what you need, I'm fully in the JAD camp of a CCO in 9mm; only problem is you'll be talking dropping north of a grand for a DW or better...

Site Supporter
    SIG P290rs is a single stack with a hammer. DAO, though, and heavier than some other guns of similar size, just heavy enough to actually be shootable. Not terribly expensive. Good sights, uses the same set as a full size sig. And very accurate.

I have both. The G26 is .25 oz heavier, .18" thicker and shorter through the butt than the PPS, while holding more bullets. I thought single stack sounded good for south Florida carry, but don't notice any difference carrying the pistols JMK AIWB. The G26's I've had over the years have been tops in reliability. Obviously, you have way more latitude with sights with the G26, as well as easier home gunsmithing. The loaded chamber stud on the PPS works for AIWB, but the Gadget is way better IMO due to the broader flatter surface for your thumb. Finally, I am faster and more consistent with the G26 than the PPS or G43 (timer) and shoot the G26 better SHO/WHO. My point is that the G43 or PPS M2 do not offer an advantage for me over the G26 for belt carry. I won't pocket carry a striker pistol without a safety. Just my personal experience, but now that we have the Gadget, for AIWB I'm unwilling to compromise capacity and controllability with a single stack.

Hmm. I didn't realize the Glock 26 was only that much larger than the 43. I thought the 26 was bigger. I will check out the P30SK and the 26. Staying with da/sa decocker would be preferable but the idea of the gadget AIWB didn't sound too bad either.

This gun's role would be for events where a tucked in shirt is required like weddings and formal events, but also for lazy weekends that are just too hot and too sweaty to carry the P07. I've tried tucking in my P07 and it just doesn't conceal well at all on me but it's just fine with a normal button down shirt untucked that I usually wear throughout the week.
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 02-24-2017 at 07:58 AM.

The PPS does not work like an SCD/Gadget equipped Glock. That's that. If you want the passive safety capability, you need an SCD or a hammer fired pistol.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, here are my thoughts on the gadget-like use of the PPS Striker indicator from a couple of years ago:
    I have your SCD on two of my Glocks and have a trio of PPSs (original, not M2). Would certainly like to be able to equip the PPSs with an SCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    I've got both, and if I could only keep one, it would be the PPS. I don't feel the weight difference on the belt, but it really pays off in hand; the M2 is a good bit less snappy than the G43. Reloads for me are also MUCH smoother with the PPS.

Here's a couple phone pics showing how far the indicator protrudes. It does work, but it doesn't feel that big on your thumb; I'm pretty sure a gadget would give better tactile feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My experience mirrors this. For the last six months of last year we practiced with four 9mm pistols: PPS M2, Shield, and two G43's. We also ran the
    G26 as a control. When it was all said and done and about 2,500 rounds later, I traded off my G43, but kept the PPS. Though I lose some rounds to the G26, in my hands, I shoot the PPS M2 FAR better. I did not see what the G26 did that I couldn't already do with my 19, and my wife likes the 26, so it's hers now. The PPS weighs as much as the 26, but I think it is noticeably more accurate and has a better trigger. It is also thinner in the right places, so for NPE, it would be my choice hands down. It just doesn't have any truly noticeable flaws that I can find, other than sight selection. Mine is as accurate as the custom 1911's I used to carry, and the recoil is far less than the G43.

The Shield to us was like the Toyota Camry. Plain vanilla. Not awe inspiring, but not having any bad habits. It was right with the G26 in accuracy, and has noticeably less recoil than the G43. All in all, it's a pretty darn nice pistol.

No matter what I tried, I could not get the G43 to not squirm in the hand, so I put a Hogue grip sleeve on both of ours and it helped a lot. However, neither of our G43's are what I would call especially accurate. I know some have changed their grip in order to accommodate the G43, but I prefer to stay with the same grip across the board, if possible, simply due to the KISS principle. However, I did try a number of different grip variations and never found any that would make me pick it over the Shield, and certainly not the PPS M2. While smaller than the PPS M2, I felt I gave up too much for whatever gain I got in regards to concealment. Truthfully, none of these pistols are difficult to conceal, but then I spent most of my adult life carrying a 1911, M&P FS, and G17. I finally gave up on my G43 and traded it towards a new Colt 6960. My wife still has hers and wants it to be her favorite pistol, as she has very tiny hands. It fits her hands better than any pistol she's ever owned. However, it did cause her some problems last fall that caused her to lose a bit of confidence in it. The accuracy suddenly dropped off noticeably, irrespective of brand. Even the 147's HST's she carries in it were throwing patterns, versus groups. At the same time this happened, it also started throwing brass everywhere - even over my left shoulder! The btf issue we found is not just with the larger models. It got pretty bad with her 43. There are no Apex extractors for it, so I bought several factory extractors and plunger assemblies to see if that corrected the problem, and sure enough, it did. Both the accuracy and btf issues were resolved as soon as the parts were replaced, and it now puts the brass more or less where it should. As stated earlier, these issues shook her confidence in it, as it is her primary carry pistol, and we have no idea when or if the extraction/accuracy issues will show up again. Truthfully, if it were mine, it would be gone. While I know approximately how many rounds we put through these pistols, I have no idea how many had been fired in her G43 before the btf/brass everywhere/accuracy issue appeared, but we were just discussing it and think they showed up at ~1,000 rounds. The PPS and Shield have nearly identical or higher round counts and had no issues in these regards. In fact, they had no issues at all.

Site Supporter
    Since the OP mentioned the P239... and the P239 thread came back from the grave today...

OP, have you actually tried one AIWB?

That's how I carry mine. I find it to work well--even in a crappy Blackhawk neoprene holster. It's surprisingly comfortable. I forget it's there when I'm up and about. When I sit down to drive, I hike up my pants a little... no big deal.

And again... that's with a holster that offers ZERO extra help in terms of comfort or concealment. I've been waiting on a JR custom leather AIWB (CDA ii) for 14 weeks now (I'm starting to get antsy), so, I think it's going to be even more of a no-brainer once I get that thing.

And, if you're intent on an even more compact DA/SA single stack... there are options available. A Smith 3913 or a CS9. Or, if you're willing to go down in caliber, a P230/232 or a Makarov. Or even a PP/PPK. I went through this same quandary a while back so I've considered all the aforementioned options. But... when I switched to AIWB... I found it waay more forgiving in terms of gun size and thickness. So the P239 was pretty much a slam dunk.

Sorry to not directly address your question on the Gadget vs. the striker indicator. But, I'd just thought I'd offer another POV. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable carrying anything without a hammer/decocker or a safety AIWB.

Oh yeah..... and my P239 outshoots just about every other handgun I own. Bonus.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 02-24-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Looking forward to a gadget for my g43. Played with a pps m2 at the range, shot well for me. But was a little bigger then I liked and using the striker indictator do hicky was not nearly as useful for my thumb as a hammer or a gadget. imho

Have G43 G26 and PPS v1. PPS seems the most mechanically accurate. It's size is like a G19 single stack. I can't shoot the G43 well at all, it's too small in my hands. G43 is a more comfortable thunderwear or ankle gun though. G26 gets no play because when I can conceal that I can hide a G19 (I always use a pinky extension on the g26 and the same G17 AIWB).

The thicker the gun the quicker I can get it into action and aligned on the target. PPS thin grip means more lateral variability in my hand but once it is aligned it is amazing. For recoil, G26 has the least felt, followed by PPS then G43 but none are objectionable. I can hit torso steel with my PPS and G26 out to 100y but max out the G43 at about 35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List