Thread: Mag issue

Mag issue

Hi all, bear with me as I'm new to firearms and I'm still learning the lingo.
    After much research I bought an EAA Tanfoglio Witness PS in 9mm (a CZ clone). I bought it at a gun show as my local dealers did not carry the line, and after dry firing at the show I decided this was what I wanted. Went through PICS and bought it. It only came with one mag. So I looked around for another at the show. A seller can The Mag-Man said he had one. I looked at the packaging (correct part number), and the mag. Looked the same except for a black follower instead of red. Slid the mag into the pistol. All seemed good. The only difference I could see at that time was the follower was black, not red like the OEM one. So during my first shooting lesson, the instructor loaded the mag with black follower and slid it home (with some force) with the slide open. The slide closed without him touching the release. He looked at it funny. Dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, and left it open and did it again with same mag only less force. It stayed open. Dropped it and did it again harder, it closed. Dropped and cleared, and tried the OEM mag (with red follower)... the slide stayed open regardless of how hard he slammed it in.

Mind you, the other mag (with black follower) works just fine, no jams or issues, just sends the slide closed when inserted too hard. After a closer look, I can tell it's not from Tanfoglio. The way it's shaped at the top is different.

Should I still use the questionable mag?
    Last edited by Auriemma; 02-23-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    --- Joe ---
    Sig Sauer P320RX, P229R E2, P365XL, SP2022 || Springfield 1911 Range Officer Compact Elite
    Henry Golden Boy || Ruger 10/22 Custom || CZ455V || Tippmann M4-22 Elite || HP 995TS

They're the same magazine.

What you have is the Witness PS-which denotes small frame. There are two types of Witness 9mm pistols,small frame and large frame.Large frame 9mm takes an 18 round magazine with a black follower,and small frames take a 16 round orange follower Tanfoglio mag. With the small frame 9mm,there's all sorts of magazine providers out there. What actually works well long term for small frame Tanfos a big fat question mark.

My advice -unload that gun for a Glock 19 ASAP. I don't say it to offend-but as a new shooter your focus should be skill building ,and that's hard enough without owning a grey market Italian import with minus zero logistical support. With the Glock there will be no questions about which magazine works or doesn't work.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    They're the same magazine.

What you have is the Witness PS-which denotes small frame. There are two types of Witness 9mm pistols,small frame and large frame.Large frame 9mm takes an 18 round magazine with a black follower,and small frames take a 16 round orange follower Tanfoglio mag. With the small frame 9mm,there's all sorts of magazine providers out there. What actually works well long term for small frame Tanfos a big fat question mark.
    I disagree. I think it is an aftermarket mag that happens to fit. There is no Triangle T makers mark on it so it's not Tanfoglio. Also both mags are 17 rounders. I think the seller slipped one by me. I know better now.
    Last night, I showed my Witness P and mags to my local dealer, he complimented me on my choice (he doesn't carry Tanfoglio but knows the company). He also stated that the slide closing when inserting the mag hard is common among many guns. He said if it works, go ahead and use it. EAA said the same thing.

What works best in my Witness PS over the long haul? The stock mag with the red/orange follower, which are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    My advice -unload that gun for a Glock 19 ASAP. I don't say it to offend-but as a new shooter your focus should be skill building ,and that's hard enough without owning a grey market Italian import with minus zero logistical support. With the Glock there will be no questions about which magazine works or doesn't work.
    If I wanted a Glock, I would have bought one.. no offense.
    I had been thinking about buying a pistol for a long time. I spent countless hours over the course of a year, researching, reading reviews, comparing, etc. I made a list of pistols I wanted to feel before buying. Glock was on my list, but near the bottom. I did handle several Glocks at my local shop. I simply did not like the feel or the aestetics. I wasn't planning on carrying, so I wanted a full size. I was trying to keep the pistol under $500. On my list of 9mms were Tanfoglio Witness, Ruger American, Walther Creed, S&W 9mm, and a few others including Glock. I handled almost everything on my list either at the shop or at the show. The final decision was made by my hands.

I know EAA imports them... doesn't bother me a bit. (Glocks can be imported too. I know they are also USA made). EAA CS is/was known to be spotty, but I decided at worst case, I would deal with any issues though a local gunsmith. So far after several questions to EAA CS, I am quite satisfied. That being said, the Witness PS (Grey Ghost) 9mm is well made. Shoots well, the trigger is exceptional (the words of my instructor, and I agree), good weight, very controllable recoil, breaks down easily, and IMHO, a solid pistol for the money ($325 total, PICS and taxes included). The only "flaw" is that my thumb has a little trouble reaching the manual safety. That I'll correct with practice. After 300 rounds (150 through the aftermarket mag), no issues what so ever (with the exception of the slide releasing with the odd mag).
    Last edited by Auriemma; 02-24-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    --- Joe ---
    Sig Sauer P320RX, P229R E2, P365XL, SP2022 || Springfield 1911 Range Officer Compact Elite
    Henry Golden Boy || Ruger 10/22 Custom || CZ455V || Tippmann M4-22 Elite || HP 995TS

I don't see a real problem, if it bothers you don't use them, but I don't consider it a big deal. I have several guns that will close the slide if you really shove a mag into them. Three of these are either Tanfoglio made (Gun in avatar and another similar full sized, along with a compact), and my SAR K2P, which is a clone of a Tanfoglio Witness P) or are SAR made. My "Mossad" compact is the only one I have any issues with mags not holding the slide open when empty. I bought two mags online and they function fine, but neither will keep the slide open, the follower won't close the slide either, even when slammed in ridiculously hard. I don't use that gun anywhere except the range, so it's no big deal. On the SAR, and the full sized Tanfoglio guns, any and all the mags I have, most of them Mec-Gars, will close the slides if put in hard, and I can mix and match them all without any issues. A friend's Witness of the same vintage will not drop the slide, even with my mags, I don't know why. I have a dozen mags total, 9 being Mec-Gars, and two the stock Tanfoglio mags, and an unknown make replacement. It of them has a cast aluminum base on it, and I see no identifying marks anywhere. It functions fine, so it's in the pile and I have done nothing with it except put a new Wolff spring in it, just because it appears to be somewhat elderly (the base has almost no blue on it).

User Tag List