Thread: S&W M59 Project Guns

S&W M59 Project Guns

Not sure if anyone is interested but Summit Gun Broker http://summitgunbroker.com/ is selling S&W M59 that were converted to training guns for $160 plus $20 shipping for the first gun. The guns might be able to be converted back to live fire or could be used as training guns. Heck, the parts are worth the asking price if one shoots the old S&W autoloaders.

In full disclosure, I am buying two to use as training guns for new shooters.
    Last edited by farscott; 02-23-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Are they still "Firearms" for purpose of shipping and registration? I don't need a trainer or a parts donor, but I would be willing to bet $160 I could remil one. But if you start adding airmail and transfer fees on to it, a project becomes a purchase.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Thanks for the heads up.

If the barrel block is truly brazed, then I would be seriously concerned about trying to return it back to original as the heat treating would be compromised. Hopefully it has been silver soldered which would make removal and clean up a consideration.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Are they still "Firearms" for purpose of shipping and registration? I don't need a trainer or a parts donor, but I would be willing to bet $160 I could remil one. But if you start adding airmail and transfer fees on to it, a project becomes a purchase.
    I believe they are still firearms as the frame is intact. Shipping for one is $20, so you would be into it for $180 before FFL fees. A new firing pin and firing pin spring from Numrich is less than $20. A little bit of labor to remove the pin on the feed ramp, and it is possible to have a shooter for about $200 plus FFL fees.

Site Supporter
    Just when you think a bad dream is over and gone for good, it returns. Those M59s were possibly the worst thing S&W ever shat out the door. Horrible ergos, sketchy reliability, weak mag catch springs, nasty DA trigger pulls, and on and on. The 3rd Gen guns were a leap ahead in all respects and that was good, because they only had one way to go with these guns.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 02-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Figured I would provide a follow up on this. As everyone knows, buying pistols this way is a crap shoot. Or, as Forrest Gump famously said, "Like a box of chocolates". And when this box arrived at my FFL, I was somewhat certain that my box of chocolate was more Ex-Lax than Lindt. The pistols were ugly, covered in orange Krylon and a fine patina of crud. The chambers were indeed blocked with silver solder and the firing pins did not protrude from the breech face when the firing pin was fully depressed with a punch.

But I am stubborn. These pistols ended up taking a dunk in "Purple Power" in an ultrasonic cleaner. Three changes of solution later, the Krylon was mostly gone and it was possible to examine the parts. One of the two pistols was darn near mint while the other showed signs of being used. The original firing pins had the nose cut and the remaining pin nicely rounded -- and blued. A new set of 3rd Generation firing pins and firing pin springs sourced from Numrich replaced the original equipment. 1st Generation firing pins are long gone from the parts bins of even Jack First and Numrich. The decision was made to go with 3rd Generation parts. The difference is that the M59 design, like all of the 1st Generation pistols, has no firing pin safety. If dropped and the safety is not engaged, the gun could fire due to firing pin inertia. The only reason the safety stops it when engaged is that the safety "holds" the firing pin. The 2nd and 3rd Generation pistols have firing pin safeties. So it was no big deal to swap the firing pins and firing pin springs with new ones. There is still no firing pin safety, but the replacement pins ignite primers just fine.

The barrels were a different story. The chambers were partially filled with silver solder. A decision was made to use a Dremel to carefully remove the solder. It took some time, and lots of care was needed to not reshape the barrel ramp or change the chamber shape. It was a lot of grind a bit and check, and the barrel temperature was checked to insure it did not get too hot. Finally a 9x19 dummy round would cleanly and easily enter the chamber of each barrel.

Then it was time to lube, assemble, and test. These pistols are very late M59 production, and the feeding issues that plagued the very early guns had been solved. I tried feeding with some modern rounds, including 135-grain Hornady Critical Duty and some 147-grain Golden Saber, as well as 115-grain ball. The pistols fed everything, including empty cases. Test firing was done with 115-grain WWB. So far, so good, and the DA trigger pulls are surprisingly nice. The triggers are very smooth and much better than my 2nd Generation M559. These pistols are obsolete in every sense of the word, but they hark back to a time when the autoloading pistol was still a work-in-progress. The M59 was the first "wondernine", and it is a nice piece of history. I quite enjoyed the process of salvaging these two pistols, especially when the original metal polish and finish could be seen.

Last edited by farscott; 04-13-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Nicely done! Thanks for the update.

I have always had a thing for S&W autoloaders and have owned about half a dozen of them but never a 59. One of them was a 5906 police trade-in that I had to used Comet to get all the grunge off the frame. Today I would have used an ultrasonic but that was 20 years ago before the Chinese started making affordable units. It turned out to be a nice shooter and a friend of mine ended up talking me out of it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Thank you farscott for this post. Very cool!

Thanks. I get an inordinate sense of satisfaction in salvaging these old pistols so that later generations can enjoy them. I also am enthralled by the designs carved out of blocks of aluminum alloy and carbon steel, especially as the revolver influence can be seen. The sights on these pistols are clearly descended from the famous S&W revolver adjustable rear and "red ramp" front sights. The DA trigger feel on these M59 pistols is reminiscent of the K-frame DA trigger.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-13-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Thanks. I get an inordinate sense of satisfaction in salvaging these old pistols so that later generations can enjoy them. I also am enthralled by the designs carved out of blocks of aluminum alloy and carbon steel, especially as the revolver influence can be seen. The sights on these pistols are clearly descended from the famous S&W revolver adjustable rear and "red ramp" front sights. The DA trigger feel on these M59 pistols is reminiscent of the K-frame DA trigger.
    Good for you. Rescuing handguns is one of my weaknesses. If I had the extra cash when this thread was started I would have been showing off my m59 also.

Cause back in the day I had a m59. That's what the cool cops was carrying. I paid $357.00 whole dollars for it. I know cause I still got the receipt for. I don't have the m59 anymore and it maybe junk by today's standards but I still kinda miss it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List