Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who use an optic on you edc

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I've stated this in various rmr pistol threads...

You should continue to practice and train with your irons. Fact is that irons are noticeably faster on the draw than an RDS from concealment. If you draw the way you have been since you picked up a pistol, using the front sights you'll likely not lose speed, then on follow through as you track the front sight back down to the target for a second shot, pick up the RDS. Second, third, fourth, whenever.

Or if you have your pistol out already and need to make an accurate shot, then sure focus on the dot.

You shouldn't neglect irons, more of adding the RDS to your training rather than adding the iron sights back in.
    To say irons are faster than an RDS is more of a presentation problem. One can get away with a lot more with irons than an RDS during presentation which I'm sure you already know. So then the work or the reps as you pointed comes in with cleaning up the presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    To say irons are faster than an RDS is more of a presentation problem. One can get away with a lot more with irons than an RDS during presentation which I'm sure you already know. So then the work or the reps as you pointed comes in with cleaning up the presentation.
    As I stated is it worth doing?

It is like relearning to walk in a different, initially very slower method that requires a lot of work. When you already know how to walk pretty well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    As I stated is it worth doing?

It is like relearning to walk in a different, initially very slower method that requires a lot of work. When you already know how to walk pretty well.
    I have to disagree, or maybe present a different angle. It isn't like learning to walk again, it is like learning to walk better. Once your presentation is cleaned up and allows for high speed with an optic, your irons will also be better.

I'm old school. I have no anything attached to any gun, especially my carry gun (Sig P239 .40 S&W).

If you were to consider the proximity of 90+% of gunfights, sights are unnecessary. It's all about point shooting while getting the hell outta the sight picture of an adversary.

Practice point shooting at 10'.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have to disagree, or maybe present a different angle. It isn't like learning to walk again, it is like learning to walk better. Once your presentation is cleaned up and allows for high speed with an optic, your irons will also be better.
    I have really given it a good try, you could say I am still doing it.

I cannot find the dot on a sub-second draw, I just can't seem to do it. Irons? All day.

The RDS has accuracy over standard irons all day, that does not need to be addressed and that seems to be the only real advantage. I can see why you are saying that irons will be also be better if you do the reps with an RMR, but that does require a lot of reps. You could probably do both at the same time - which has been my point on the matter if you are going to be going down the RDS rabbit hole, why not do it properly? (In my opinion)
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 02-24-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SigShooter View Post
    I'm old school. I have no anything attached to any gun, especially my carry gun (Sig P239 .40 S&W).

If you were to consider the proximity of 90+% of gunfights, sights are unnecessary. It's all about point shooting while getting the hell outta the sight picture of an adversary.

So you have removed your sights then?

Nope, not what our SMEs say, not what Tom Givens says and he's collected data from hundreds of his students that...actually shot someone in a self defense shooting. By all means, feel free to back your claim with meaningful data.

Also...

Name:  no-country-for-old-men-4.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  50.8 KB
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 02-24-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    #RESIST

Where the facepalm gif?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

At first I just thought you were a confrontational newbie, now I'm sure you're here to not learn or discuss. There is so much evidence from SMEs, trainers, and "real-world" feedback that to say sights aren't needed shows an impressive amount of intentional cognitive dissonance. It is like the Flat Earth Theory for defensive handgun use.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-24-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    At first I just thought you were a confrontational newbie, now I'm sure you're here to not learn or discuss. There is so much evidence from SMEs, trainers, and "real-world" feedback that to say sights aren't needed shows an impressive amount of intentional cognitive dissonance. It is like the Flat Earth Theory for defensive handgun use.
    This is priceless, man.

User Tag List