Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DHS to Hire 15,000 more agents

DHS to Hire 15,000 more agents

According to news outlets, Secretary Kelly ordered that ICE hire an additional 10,000, and Border Patrol an additional 5,000.

10,000 is a lot. ICE as a whole currently stands at ~20,000. I'm not sure if they're at their staffing levels or understrength.

Border Patrol is supposed to be at about 21,000 or so, but I believe they're well understrength.....the 5,000 might only bring them slightly above current staffing, or possibly not at all if their attrition keeps up the way it is.

1) Can we even afford it?

2) Where are all the IAs going to be housed?

3) Is there going to be an increase in immigration court staffing, given that's a HUGE bottleneck?

4) Are they even going to be able to hire that many? GenPop has such a bad outlook on LE right now, with immigration enforcement especially being a divisive issue. LE academies across the nation are having trouble getting qualified candidates, including BP and FAMS (not that FAMS is part of this discussion, just an example).
    Last edited by TGS; 02-22-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I wonder if they'll take laterals?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    According to news outlets, Secretary Kelly ordered that ICE hire an additional 10,000, and Border Patrol an additional 5,000.

10,000 is a lot. ICE as a whole currently stands at ~20,000. I'm not sure if they're at their staffing levels or understrength.

Border Patrol is supposed to be at about 21,000 or so, but I believe they're well understrength.....the 5,000 might only bring them slightly above current staffing, or possibly not at all if their attrition keeps up the way it is.

1) Can we even afford it?

2) Where are all the IAs going to be housed?

3) Is there going to be an increase in immigration court staffing, given that's a HUGE bottleneck?

4) Are they even going to be able to hire that many? GenPop has such a bad outlook on LE right now, with immigration enforcement especially being a divisive issue. LE academies across the nation are having trouble getting qualified candidates, including BP and FAMS (not that FAMS is part of this discussion, just an example).
    No more pensions. The job will have to be taken as a volunteer. You know, too many entitlements.

Honestly, despite my sarcasm, it gets old hearing how much we're going to support law enforcement and the military while all of the same balls to the wall politicians try to figure out how to get out of paying for the pensions and medical care.

Mini rant over.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

How many agents can they train at once, and how many classes per year?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post

I was at FLETC Artesia recently and instructors out there said ICE could take BP agents and put them directly onto the street with no add-on academy as they've already learned immigration law....and that that they had done it in the past.

I'm not sure if that's true, but even still.....I don't imagine many people want to lateral into ICE. If they're expanding HSI a lot then I could see USSS dudes jumping ship in droves, but in any case a large amount of laterals would only compromise another agency (and likely a DHS entity, at that).
    Last edited by TGS; 02-22-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Maybe they can train at Gitmo and after adding more detainees to the facility use them as unpaid role players...you know, Richard Roe and family. Win-win.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    No idea on ERO. FLETC Glynco is already pretty busy with CITP though, so HSI would have to fight for CITP slots if they're part of the hiring push.

As for BP, I've spoken with people from BLM, FAMS, and BP who all said that when they attended FLETC Artesia during the last big BP hiring push they were running 3 new classes per week of 32-42 BP agents a piece.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-22-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post

You can go lateral USBP to ICE ERO.

Some 1811s used to be able to do partial laterals - skip CITP and just do ICE SAT but they supposedly now have a unified ICE / HSI SA academy program.

They'll have a hard time with fulfilling those numbers. Many BP have already jumped over to ERO and I'm sure many more will follow. Additionally, the current polygraph situation is is basically disqualifying 3 out of 4 applicants because it's flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    They'll have a hard time with fulfilling those numbers. Many BP have already jumped over to ERO and I'm sure many more will follow. Additionally, the current polygraph situation is is basically disqualifying 3 out of 4 applicants because it's flawed.
    I heard this too, very messed up
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List