Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather vs Nylyon belt for AIWB

Leather vs Nylyon belt for AIWB

Hey guys, just getting an idea on preferences for AIWB belts. I currently wear a Milt Sparks broken in leather belt which is extremely comfortable. I was looking at the Volund Gearworks Slim Atlas Cobra Gunbelt. Is there any perceived difference in these two with regards to AIWB carry? Thanks.

I've been using a leather Desantis belt for a while and am planning on grabbing one of the mastermind tactics ones or something similar very soon. My belt now is comfortable, but it is very thick and I ordered it too long so I've had to punch some extra holes in it, which sucks because of the extra length/tail. And now I'm at the point where I really should put another notch in it, and I don't think I'm losing weight, I think its stretching a bit. The adjustability of a nylon is what I'm looking for. After reading everyone's thoughts on them from here, I have no doubt that it'll be stiff enough. Really all that's holding me back is measuring my waist plus my carry gear. But i would also like to hear what some folks with some experience with both think as well.

Not a fan of leather belts.

Specifically because nylon is lighter and can do the same thing for a good period of time. Sure leather lasts a long time, but so what. Belts are consumables as far as I'm concerned.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    I have been going AIWB for nearly 8 years 90+ % of the time. My favorites belts are 1. Nylon Wilderness 2. Liger 3. Leather.

If I was only going to own 1 belt and I was still working a jacket/tie job, it would be the Liger. If not, a Wilderness offering (I am fond of the FF model).

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    I've been using a leather Desantis belt for a while and am planning on grabbing one of the mastermind tactics ones or something similar very soon. My belt now is comfortable, but it is very thick and I ordered it too long so I've had to punch some extra holes in it, which sucks because of the extra length/tail. And now I'm at the point where I really should put another notch in it, and I don't think I'm losing weight, I think its stretching a bit. The adjustability of a nylon is what I'm looking for. After reading everyone's thoughts on them from here, I have no doubt that it'll be stiff enough. Really all that's holding me back is measuring my waist plus my carry gear. But i would also like to hear what some folks with some experience with both think as well.
    My leather gun belts are lined with either steel or polymer. I prefer them for OWB carry vs. AIWB. The nylon belts seem to "wrap" around the holster better allowing better fit and concealment for AIWB.

As far as fit, Mastermind Tactics now recommends going up a size from your normal pants size when ordering their belts. So if you wear a 34 you'd go with a 36 belt. I actually ordered the same size as my leather gun belts which are 4" larger but the tail extends to 10 to 10.30 on the nylon belts. Depending on your needs and the belt loops you have to deal with, somewhere between 2 and 4 inches seems to be the right added length over your normal pant size.
    Last edited by blues; 02-22-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Frequent Flyer Wilderness Belt.. it weighs practically nothing.

If you thread it through so the tail goes back over your holster you can hide the attachment (loops, clip, whatever) and add additional retention. The Belt is vertically stiff but flexible so it's comfortable and you can mold it around your holster without leaving big gaps of space.

This method works better if you don't use an AIWB mag pouch so you can leave the buckle centered. The buckle lays against the holster and doesn't print any farther from your waist than your holster does. It's a different story if you use an AIWB mag pouch.

Nylon belts dig into my hips uncomfortably with AIWB, whereas leather forms much more readily and does not rely on as great tension as a nylon belt about my circumference to provide the needed support. Coupled with a leather holster, a leather belt just plain works for me (other than occasional creaking).

I bought a slim Cobra buckle nylon belt from Decagon Equipment. It has a great amount of stiffness, not too little, not too much.

I just can't get used to having to unthread the buckle to put OWB holster on.

I'm talking to them to see if they will offer something with a buckle like the Ares Aegis.

Anybody know of a belt like the Ares Aegis but not as stiff? I was thinking of trying the Mean Gene Leather with Aegis buckle but it's an expensive item.

I look at belts two ways, rigid and flexible. Leather, typically, for AIWB carry tends to be a little more rigid than needed. What this does, with purpose built AIWB holsters, is potentially work against the features that rotate the grip inward. Belt wedges and claws tend to rely on the belt conforming to the holster in order to function. This is of course body type dependent but if you have a skinny guy with a 30" waist and a steel reinforced leather belt he'll be wearing a hula hoop. The belt will be too rigid and if the belt may not be conforming to the body as much right after the hip bone. The belt will contact the front face of the holster and create dead space for the AIWB feature to rest in rather than the belt acting against the feature. A less rigid belt will conform very tightly and act against the claw and help tuck the grip. For AIWB we can get away with a lot more, belt wise but vertical stiffness is all we really need.

I've talked a ton of folks out of new holsters by suggesting a different belt as their existing holster already worked for them and mine wouldn't work well with their current belt either. Much like everything else, you're gonna wind up with a few anyway.

The super stiff belt thing, I feel, is carryover from the days when the belt provided support for a heavy gun and a less rigid holster. Most folks can get away with a standard Wilderness belt for most everything and be just fine.

My current favorite leather belts are single layer "fashion" belts made by smaller leather shops. Orion Leather, One Star Leather, Tanner Goods, and others make great belts that are nice leather but not super thick.
    Last edited by orionz06; 02-23-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

*Nylon* - That's what I get for typing at the end of the day. So here's where I'm at. My leather belt is very well broken in but it still is a thick belt from the printing perspective. I have a JMCK wing claw 2.0 and I feel like I'm putting undue stress on the J-hooks with the thickness of the belt. I was hoping the Atlas Cobra Slim would alleviate that without giving up the comfort or support. I don't want anything too rigid like the Ares Ranger, and I also don't want to give up the overall practicality of the leather gunbelt. Thanks for the info guys.

User Tag List