Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portable target stand help

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I make these. One 8' 2x4 for the base and whatever length 2x2 standards you want.

Attachment 14157

Attachment 14158
    Club I belong to has these spread out. I also made a bunch of PVC stands on the cheap. A simple U. Drill a couple of holes in the bottom and push the biggest nails/ stakes you can get at hardware store. If it's real windy they flop a bit, but still usable. I put a threaded cap one vertical leg and store the stakes in there. Sit flat si I just leave them in the trunk in case the supplied ones @ the club are being used.

Site Supporter
    I've built a bunch of the 2x4 stands Rich posted. The only difference is I use 1x3 furring strips instead of 2x2's. It doesn't get much cheaper than one 8' 2x4, and at almost nine pounds they handle wind pretty well.

Here is a thread on KahrTalk about a portable target stand I made. http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...141#post366141

I also used to use a bunch of the home-made 2x4 versions, with slots for 1x2 verticals. Make sure to make the slot loose for the 1x2 to allow for shrinkage and expansion. I also prefer to weight down the feet than driving in stakes, but I drill holes in them either way since I'd rather have the option.

One issue with all of the 2x4 stands is that they don't fit in small cars. The brackets above are unique in that one can bundle a bunch of 3-4' uprights and use the same wood to hold the brackets together and not fill their vehicle with just stands.

Of the metal stands I really like the idea of these as well.

These are it! These are what I've wanted or been wanting to make, along with a union piece that allows for two 24"-30" sticks to be joined together to keep a small bundle of six stands at less than 3' long and still fit into a 5 gallon bucket.

Review

Think for yourself. Question authority.

It's the wrong time of year for this, but political signs make a good small target holder.

User Tag List