Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled over while carrying yesterday

Pulled over while carrying yesterday

Got pulled over for speeding yesterday. Saw the lights, pulled to the shoulder, put my four-ways on, hands on the top of the wheel.

Officer walked up, I rolled down the window. He introduced himself, told me why he pulled me over, and asked for my license and registration. I told him which pocket my license was in, then grabbed my wallet out. I handed him my CHL with my license, and said, "There's my concealed carry permit, too, and I am carrying right now." As far as I can tell from the law, CO does not have a duty to inform. He said alright, and asked for my registration and proof of insurance. Handed it over, he asked where my weapon was. "Four o'clock, on my belt." He said, "Alright, I'll be right back." I put my hands on the wheel and left them there.

He came back, gave me a warning, and sent me on my way.

Overall, a positive interaction with the police.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Has anybody actually had a bad encounter with the police re: carrying? The one time it happened to me in GA, the dude just conversationally asked what I had, then said "cool" when I told him. Guess he was a Glock fan.

All my experiences have been positive (AZ, and NM).
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Yeah, we've had several here in SC. Usually ignorant officers unaware of the CWP laws.

Never been pulled over
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Had one sort of bad interaction- went through a yellow (dang) and got pulled over. The officer really didn't quite understand the safety on a CZ 75, and muzzled me a few times while trying to yank back the slide with the safety on. He went back and ran the #'s off the gun, gave me grief for having hollowpoint bullets, and even asked why I was carrying a gun. I did remain polite throughout and didn't argue politics- not the time or place.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Had one sort of bad interaction- went through a yellow (dang) and got pulled over. The officer really didn't quite understand the safety on a CZ 75, and muzzled me a few times while trying to yank back the slide with the safety on. He went back and ran the #'s off the gun, gave me grief for having hollowpoint bullets, and even asked why I was carrying a gun. I did remain polite throughout and didn't argue politics- not the time or place.
    I worry about running into the guy that has an agenda and asks me questions, knowing full well none of my responses are going to satisfy him.

I never got pulled over while carrying. My car did get randomly searched going on base one time. The MP was pretty pissed I had 2000+ rounds of 9mm and .38 in my trunk, which wasn't against any regulations. He made his anti-gun agenda pretty clear. I just nodded and said, "okay" until he got fed up with himself and walked away.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Had a sheriffs deputy pull me over one evening for and illegal left turn. One that hadn't previously been illegal. I pulled into the lot. He asked me for my licence and registration. I told him I had my chp and was carring at 4 o'clock and wasn't driving my own car so had no idea were the registration was. He asked me to exit the car and then he removed my weapon.
    Then proceeded to unload the weapon and muzzle me while trying to read the number off the gun. After the numbers from my licence, chp, pistol, and plates. Were called clean he reloaded the pistol and handed it back to me. Then told me to be careful with that thing and motioned to my 2 4 year old kids in the back of the car and said you got precious.cargo in there. I ignore the fact that my blood was boiling from him muzzling me with my pistol for 5 min. And then warning me to be safe with it. Thanked him for his service and unloaded my kids to get some pizza in the pizza shop I was parked next to. Were everyone now knew I was carrying a pistol.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I told him which pocket my license was in, then grabbed my wallet out.
    Out of curiosity why not just pull your wallet out as you're pulling over/pulled over and have your ID and permit ready? Makes for less of the "Officer may I?" back and forth. My theory is I'd rather not have to put my hands in my pockets or other types of "hiding places" when speaking with an Officer.

I've only been pulled over once while carrying and it was in a Maxpedition bag at the time. Showed DL and permit, he asked if I was carrying and I told him yes and in the bag. He asked to hold onto the bag, I complied wanting him to feel safe, but I didn't understand why he bothered to remove the weapon from the bag holster, drop the mag and unchamber the round. After he gave me my ticket he gave me the unloaded pistol back, along with the mag separately, and that was the end. Outside of having to pay a garbage ticket everything went well with the exception of not returning my chambered round and now NHP owes me a Gold Dot.
    Last edited by Shellback; 12-11-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Out of curiosity why not just pull your wallet out as you're pulling over/pulled over and have your ID and permit ready? Makes for less of the "Officer may I?" back and forth. My theory is I'd rather not have to put my hands in my pockets or other types of "hiding places" when speaking with an Officer.

Are you windows tinted?

User Tag List