Thread: Magic Eye Dot System for Shooting with Both Eyes?

Magic Eye Dot System for Shooting with Both Eyes?

I started shooting with one eye open. I'm doing research and trying to determine if most of the top shooters shoot with one eye open or two. (Does anyone know?) In any event, I'd like to try to shoot with two eyes open, but I am having trouble with double vision. I'm wondering if these Magic Dots will help. Any thoughts?

I guess I could use scotch tape, but I might have trouble getting the tape off the lens.

http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot

Randy

I believe most skilled shooters use two eyes...I do, though that doesn't necessarily make me a skilled shooter.

I don't know anything about the magic dots, but if you have double vision when attempting to shoot with both eyes open, a trip to the ophthalmologist or optometrist might be in order.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I started shooting with one eye open. I'm doing research and trying to determine if most of the top shooters shoot with one eye open or two. (Does anyone know?) In any event, I'd like to try to shoot with two eyes open, but I am having trouble with double vision. I'm wondering if these Magic Dots will help. Any thoughts?

I guess I could use scotch tape, but I might have trouble getting the tape off the lens.

http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot

Randy
    Randy,

The short answer is that there is a lot of variation among individuals and that includes top shooters. You can find examples of those who shoot with both eyes open exclusively, those who squint/close their for at least some shots, and those who target focus for at least some shots. I think there are some advantages to having both eyes open, if it works for you. It doesn't work for everyone though.

Those "magic" dots look like they would work, as would the time-honored method of starting with opaque tape occluding the lens in front of the nondominant eye, then progressing to translucent tape, then to a smudge of vaseline, and finally no occlusion at all.

Here is something I just posted in another thread that gets at some of the more general issues involved:

Seeing a double image when you have both eyes open doesn't mean you are doing something wrong, it just means you have both eyes open.

Finer aspects of vision may be worth exploring, and may be even worth trying to change if you feel like it. At some point, you may want to just go with how you are built - people are pretty hardwired when it comes to how their brain and eyes work, some more than others.

If you have trouble with seeing enough detail in the sight picture to aim well enough, either shooting with a hard sharp and clear front sight focus OR with a high-visibility front sight (FO, bright colors, etc., that are very visible when blurry) may be a good way to go.

If you have trouble with the targets doubling, then either closing/squinting the nondominant eye, OR shooting with both eyes open but a target focus (blurry sights) may be a good way to go. (Ditto if you have trouble with the sights doubling on you, but I think that particular kind of visual confusion is less common.)

There's a lot of imprecision and conflating of the terms accommodation (focus/the depth in sharp and clear focus) and convergence (the spot the eyes are pointed at) when people talk about this. If you want to understand what these two processes are and a possible way to separate them, take a look here:

http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

I don't think people need to beat their heads into the biological wall, trying to force front sight focus or shooting with both eyes open if it simply does not work for them. Try it yes, work on it yes, beat your head into the wall, no. Any look at the top technical shooters around shows plenty of closing/squinting and target focusing when it's sufficient for the shot at hand (the old adage of see what you need to see.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

If you're just starting to shoot both eyes open it's not surprising that you're seeing double. I definitely did so. Once I made sure I was lining the sights up with my dominant eye things got better. Couple of thousand reps and things got better still. The tape over the non dominant eye may make things go faster for you, so I can't see down side to trying.

Just remember, what works for well some may suck for you. Do what allows you to meet your goals in the most efficient manner.

Some good info:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-to-Eye-Focus

I am meeting with my ophthalmologist next month and will discuss this. I am still curious if there is a way to measure one's strength of dominance, in regards to my post #19 from the linked thread.
    Taking a break from social media.

Last edited by CCT125US; 02-22-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: double tap
    Taking a break from social media.

Is front sight focus for you? Try this over simplification. Leave you gun in the holster and pick a target in whatever room you are in. Using you dominant hand, make a fist with your thumb pointed up. While still staying focused on your target bring the tip of your thumb up to just under your target. Your thumb is now your front sight. Slightly adjust your focus to just the tip of your thumb while still seeing your target. Practice getting the tip of your thumb sharp but not bringing total focus on your thumb to the point you get double vision. See if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List