Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading speed on a Dillon 550

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    1776, this is how I run a 550:

When I'm bring the handle up I watch the primer mechanism as it goes under the shellplate just to make sure I see a primer in the cup. I also listen for the spent primer to drop. As I rotate the shell plate I make sure I see powder in the case as I set a bullet. You get used to what you need to watch and when in the process.
    This is exactly how I do it. Quite frankly I have to forego checking each powder drop in 38 SPL cases. They are just to tall. Not a problem with 9, 40 or 45. With the shorter cases I check the powder as I turn the shell plate. With practice this becomes seamless.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 02-23-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    This is why I despise loading 9mm. All it take is someone shooting .mil brass or the dreaded .380 within 4 stalls of me, and my brass collection becomes tainted. I much prefer loading .40 for just this alone.

As far as speed I have no idea how you guys are doing 500 rounds an hour on a 550. By the time I fill the primer tubes, check my cases, check my powder charge every 20 or so, check my OAL periodically, and unstick the primer feed I'm doing about 300 an hour.
    Case prep is separate process. By the time I sit down at the press it's all about running the press. After 40 years I have found once I get the powder charge and OAL set I never had any meaningful drift in adjustments. I check the powder maybe every 500 to 1000 rounds or so just to be sure anyway, but I can't remember a time I have had to readjust. When first setting a powder charge I will measure like 4 to 5 throws in a row to make sure it is what I want.

To prevent the primer feed from sticking I keep it extremely clean and do a thorough cleaning every 1000 rounds or so. Also I find not overly tightening the cap on the primer feed tube lessens the amount it may stick.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 02-23-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

When I went for speed runs on my 550 a long time ago, I was doing almost 600 rounds per hour of 45 ACP. To do that I had all my brass ready to go, powder measure full, lots of bullets ready and 6 primer pick up tubes all filled. I found I could load .45 faster than 9mm, probably because the larger cases and bullets are easier to work with when going fast.

I load almost exclusively 9mm now and I run at a more sedate 400 rounds per hour. However, a rarely load more that 100 rounds (15 minutes) in a single session. My shoulder and elbow just can't handle the repetitive motion like they used to. Lately my shooting has been low enough of a round count that loading 30-50 rounds per day is enough to keep me going to the range once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    . By the time I fill the primer tubes, check my cases, check my powder charge every 20 or so, check my OAL periodically, and unstick the primer feed I'm doing about 300 an hour.
    My primer feed ran well and my powder charges were checked every time I filled the hopper, maybe 500-600 rounds.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    . I found I could load .45 faster than 9mm.
    Totally. Cases and LSWCs orient easier, brass is more consistent and less prone to stick, primer feel is better. I would rather buy factory than reload 9, but I actively enjoy reloading .45.
    Ignore Alien Orders

400 an hour is a nice leisurely pace. I usually do 300 at a time just to give my arm a break and to keep from getting bored/tired as that is when mistakes happen.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Case prep is separate process. By the time I sit down at the press it's all about running the press. After 40 years I have found once I get the powder charge and OAL set I never had any meaningful drift in adjustments. I check the powder maybe every 500 to 1000 rounds or so just to be sure anyway, but I can't remember a time I have had to readjust. When first setting a powder charge I will measure like 4 to 5 throws in a row to make sure it is what I want.

To prevent the primer feed from sticking I keep it extremely clean and do a thorough cleaning every 1000 rounds or so. Also I find not overly tightening the cap on the primer feed tube lessens the amount it may stick.

I load on. A 650 but most of these points stay the same.

I check powder charge when I change calibres and loads , not when I'm loading. I do check multiple when I set up.

Ive never felt the need to check OAL once it's set up. But then again ,and this makes some people shake , my pistol OAL's are all set by Eyeball Mark 1 Mod O
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post

I'm fanatical about charge consistency, but I've found that checking every 250-500 is more than enough. If you have a fine grain powder, or even better ball powder with small grains, the load is extremely repeatable. I even handle the press exactly the same way every stroke.

For me, the 38 spl is super eaaasy to load due to the soft brass. The 45 ACP is also easy due to the large mouth. Carbine dies are great for straight cases, I never use lube.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    It appears it's a crimp
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Yes, stop using mil brass. Seriously. Totally not worth the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    stop using crimped brass has been my solution! :-) Seriously though, if you have a ton of it or it's your only brass, there are hand tools to remove it as well as powered brass prep tools that do the same thing. Time consuming and an added expense. If you can avoid mil brass, that may be easiest.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Honestly, I didn't know I was using it but I will stop using it. It's a huge pain and it will be worth it to take the time and toss it all out. Lesson learned!!!
    I agree with all of this, though I did get the Dillon swage tool primarily with the intent of using it for 5.56 cases, of which I use vastly fewer of. But then I got aggravated with it doing 5.56 cases, and went looking on the dang ol internet (Boomhauer) and saw where people have developed all kinds of rather elaborate gadgetry to make it faster. I used just a couple tips and rigged up a piece of shock cord to flip the cases into a towel clipped to a lawn chair that is draped into a bucket, and now I am giddy with how easy it is. I also had to remove the ball detent in the bottom of the thing, and added a couple little shims to center the case.

And it is the good thing it works so well, because a few months ago I found some 9x19 brass online for an incredibly cheap price, such a deal (only $0.0175 each!) so I ordered in threefriggingthousand of them and they are all filthy and all CRIMPED! I set up the 650 with a decapping die and ran them all through, and I will probably end up buying one of those wet tumblers (that I want anyway) with the pins (already tried my buddy's cement mixer) and then I will sit there watching Bob Lee Swager shoot people while swaging them all. The smart thing would be to go sell them as scrap metal, but that is just not the way I roll...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-24-2017 at 04:23 PM.

User Tag List