Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading speed on a Dillon 550

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I've noticed that a small piece of the old primer stays stuck in the primer pocket. Any suggestions?
    That is both weird and very dangerous. Call Dillon.

Agree, Ive never found any leftover primer pieces.

As for getting one unstuck, perhaps one of the cheapo Lee hand depriming rods with a plastic or rubber mallet would knock the primer out so it can be removed from the shell plate.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-23-2017 at 11:25 AM.

I've noticed that a small piece of the old primer stays stuck in the primer pocket. Any suggestions?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is it pieces of the old primer or the mil crimp?

The only thing that's ever hung up a primer insertion for me has been a piece of mil brass getting in with my brass.

It appears it's a crimp

Sometimes that little ring stays in and sometimes like half of it gets removed. But I've noticed that every time a primer doesn't seat it looks like the far left picture.

I always assumed it was the old primer.

Any ways to stop that?

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Yes, stop using mil brass. Seriously. Totally not worth the risk. 9 once fired from southern belle is cheep.
    Ignore Alien Orders

stop using crimped brass has been my solution! :-) I've got a massive stash of brass and typically pick up all of my cases since I belong to a private range.

Seriously though, if you have a ton of it or it's your only brass, there are hand tools to remove it as well as powered brass prep tools that do the same thing. Time consuming and an added expense.

Wayne spoke about the Dillon 1050 above. It has a dedicated station that removes the crimp from mil brass. That's the surest, easiest way but VERY expensive.

Here is a cheap option, but it adds prep time to your brass. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/106...et-reamer-tool

If your only using mil brass you need to pick a way to do it. If you can avoid mil brass, that may be easiest.

Honestly, I didn't know I was using it but I will stop using it. It's a huge pain and it will be worth it to take the time and toss it all out.

I've just picked up brass at ranges the last couple years (mine and others when I could).
    I never paid attention to it. Lesson learned!!!

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Man you guys are fast! I must just have a casual pace. Im usually in the 250 to 300 per hour category.
    This is the number/hour I load as well, in a RL550. Very meticulous, checking everything, starting from components in box, not preloaded primer tubes.

1776, this is how I run a 550:

When I'm bring the handle up I watch the primer mechanism as it goes under the shellplate just to make sure I see a primer in the cup. I also listen for the spent primer to drop. As I rotate the shell plate I make sure I see powder in the case as I set a bullet. You get used to what you need to watch and when in the process.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Honestly, I didn't know I was using it but I will stop using it. It's a huge pain and it will be worth it to take the time and toss it all out.

I've just picked up brass at ranges the last couple years (mine and others when I could).
    I never paid attention to it. Lesson learned!!!

This is why I despise loading 9mm. All it take is someone shooting .mil brass or the dreaded .380 within 4 stalls of me, and my brass collection becomes tainted. I much prefer loading .40 for just this alone.

As far as speed I have no idea how you guys are doing 500 rounds an hour on a 550. By the time I fill the primer tubes, check my cases, check my powder charge every 20 or so, check my OAL periodically, and unstick the primer feed I'm doing about 300 an hour.

User Tag List