Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt doesn't fit triggers in production guns?

Site Supporter

Thumbs up Colt doesn't fit triggers in production guns?

So I recently bought a colt Delta elite as the new models came with the beavertail safety and I THOUGHT (thats what I get for thinking) I wouldn't have to do anything to it for it to be a reliable gun.

After shooting it the first time I noticed not only did it not lock open on empty, but the trigger floats around in the trigger guard moving up and down and making a clanking sound when walking with it in a holster. I sent the gun back to colt to fix those issues. When I received their letter back, they claimed to have refit the trigger to spec, but they also wrote a note that they do not fit triggers in production guns as they are a "drop in part". I am pretty amazed that my springfield loaded pistol and my cheap sub $500 STI spartan have fitted triggers, but spending a grand on a colt delta means I will have to spend more money to have another part fitted.

Has anyone else noticed issues with trigger fitment in recent production colts? I can honestly say I will never buy another one and will stick to springfields. Also, does anyone want to buy a delta elite?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I do! Since it sounds pretty flawed is it going cheap?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Are the Springer and STI's really fitted? Or is their drop in part just better sized? I can't imagine the lower level guns from any 1911 manufacturer being fitted. To be fair, I don't follow what happens in most production 1911's

eta: and is the trigger fit better now that it's back? If so, what kind of fitting do you think they did to make it better?
    Last edited by theJanitor; 02-24-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Sorry to sound like a Colt basher but I don't think Colt fits anything in their 1911's anymore. Springfield might in their higher ended guns but definitely not the Loaded models.

If you want something fitted, Dan Wesson makes a nice pistol for just a little more money.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    So I recently bought a colt Delta elite as the new models came with the beavertail safety and I THOUGHT (thats what I get for thinking) I wouldn't have to do anything to it for it to be a reliable gun.

After shooting it the first time I noticed not only did it not lock open on empty, but the trigger floats around in the trigger guard moving up and down and making a clanking sound when walking with it in a holster. I sent the gun back to colt to fix those issues. When I received their letter back, they claimed to have refit the trigger to spec, but they also wrote a note that they do not fit triggers in production guns as they are a "drop in part". I am pretty amazed that my springfield loaded pistol and my cheap sub $500 STI spartan have fitted triggers, but spending a grand on a colt delta means I will have to spend more money to have another part fitted.

Has anyone else noticed issues with trigger fitment in recent production colts? I can honestly say I will never buy another one and will stick to springfields. Also, does anyone want to buy a delta elite?
    I had a Wiley Clapp CCO about a year ago. It was my first and only 1911. And yes... I too noticed the trigger was loose-ish. Not, like, terrible. But unbecoming of an $1100 gun.

I also thought the thumb safety felt kind of unrefined. And I thought the grip safety lacked the positive "springyness" of some other 1911 grip safeties. The slide to frame fit was also rattly.

I will say none of these nitpicks affected accuracy or reliability (in the few rounds I put through it). The gun really was a tack driver. And the trigger was honestly very good, aside from the looseness (which I in no way perceived while shooting). The metalwork and the finish seemed good too.

But, all in all, when I compared it to a Sig or Beretta... both felt tighter and generally more refined in every way... it just didn't live up to the price tag. It was cool. I kind of miss it. And I'll have another 1911 at some point. But.... I sold it.

Site Supporter
    Trigger is still the same, I doubt they even touched it. Even if they aren't fitting it at least they use a part that fits.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Are the Springer and STI's really fitted? Or is their drop in part just better sized? I can't imagine the lower level guns from any 1911 manufacturer being fitted. To be fair, I don't follow what happens in most production 1911's

eta: and is the trigger fit better now that it's back? If so, what kind of fitting do you think they did to make it better?

Site Supporter
    The dan wesson wasn't that much more, I made the mistake of thinking colt made a quality gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Sorry to sound like a Colt basher but I don't think Colt fits anything in their 1911's anymore. Springfield might in their higher ended guns but definitely not the Loaded models.

If you want something fitted, Dan Wesson makes a nice pistol for just a little more money.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I do! Since it sounds pretty flawed is it going cheap?

Define cheap... Luckily I was already heavily invested in 1911s so I only had to buy mags.

That pony just does not mean what it used to... Unless it's on an EBR.

STI and Springfield don't fit much either.

A rattling trigger is about as important as wobble between the upper and lower on an AR.

The 1911s Colt is building right now are better than anything they've built up until now.

What you usually get with a Colt is a proper feed ramp angle, a proper extractor, a proper chamber, and pretty proper barrel timing. Also, all the small parts are very high quality and nothing really needs replacing out of the box.

Their 1911s are kinda like their ARs. They ain't pretty, but they're built right where it matters.

$1K is base tier for a decent 1911.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 02-24-2017 at 10:09 PM.

User Tag List