Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A discussion on optics durability

As far as cheapy optics go, anything hobby brand is out right away, primary arms and the like shouldn't even be considered.

If you want a cheap Leupold which will take a beating check out the vxr patrol

http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/10/leupold...iredot-on.html

It's not true 1x but I can say without hesitation that it doesn't really matter if you are running 4x all the time.

I like trijicon and haven't experienced the issues people talk about the accupower. But I wouldn't recommend the one I have (green mil sq) for duty use.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

So if the dot/battery dies in a LPV the reticle becomes useless? Indeed all my LPV's are in QD.
    Last edited by shane45; 02-21-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    So if the dot/battery dies in a LPV the reticle becomes useless? Indeed all my LPV's are in QD.
    Not necessarily, it depends on the reticle design. Something like the Nightforce FC2, FC3G, or the Trijicon Accupower's segmented circle are bold enough to use just fine without illumination. I don't have the illumination turned on in the video below (though I did forget to check power setting and pulled up on the first target at 4x,hence the delay.)
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I've got a Nightforce 1-4 in a Bobro mount atop my 12.5" 6.8 AR. It has never seen combat or duty use, as I'm just a regular Joe Bubba who hunts a lot. However, it does get used quite a bit. Spends a lot of time getting beat up riding around on ATVs, getting dropped, etc. Never had a single problem out of it. Illumination is meh.... but with the reticle design it's not needed and it's plenty good enough for a precise shot in low light, or popping a hog after dark in a spotlight.

It's a hammer, and I'd have no problems putting my faith in it for more critical applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as recoil impulses go, I have a Swaro Z6i 1-6X that's been mounted on a .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery and a couple of 9.3X62's. Admittedly, the .375 and .404 were low round counts, but I've shot a lot of 9.3 with this scope with no issues.

ASH, that was actually the point I was making The one LPV I have that I would have to turn mag up to make the reticle usable is my SR8C. Below 3X you need the illum.
    Last edited by shane45; 02-22-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Buy once, cry once. It's more expensive than most but the Swarovski Z6i 1-6 is light, robust, a true 1x, and truly daytime bright. One of the few optics that met all my criteria. I'm not easy on my gear and the two I have put up with multiple classes, matches, etc. One is on a .308 and hasn't had any issues. The glass is so clear you'll think they forgot to install it. The field of view is incredible and allows very quick transitions when using it up close. The BRT reticle allows ranging to 600. If I could only have one optic, it would be this one.
    Our 3 gun shooter uses both the Swaro and Kahles 1-6 (Swaro is the parent company of Kahles just an FYI) which have minor differences between them but are similar enough that it comes down to preference. He slightly prefers the Kahles reticle and illumination slightly over the Swaro, but those are still the best LPV's out there IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    True 1x seems like a myth with LPVO. My Kahles is probably closer to 1x than an MRO, but it's still not true 1x. Not that it really matters, but something to note.

Plus, if we're considering Swarovski for beyond hunting, and into duty grade, why not the Z8i, amirite. A bit more mag, and still sub-20 oz. by a fair bit (18.3 oz., according to the spec sheet).
    I wish we had our hands the Z8i 1-8 to compare to the above Swaro and Kahles right now, but will eventually With a 30mm tube, I have a hard time believing it will be better than the Minox 1-8 which is 34mm, a dual focal plane scope which has the red dot located on the second focal plane and stays the same size while the reticle is first focal plane. The eye box is really good for a 1-8 but I still think it's better on the Kahles or Swaro 1-6. Unfortunately it is slightly heavy at 24.5 oz vs. 16.9 oz for the Kahles and almost $1,000 more than the Kahles.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Agreed - it's not so forgiving as a red dot when in unconventional positions but I could live with it and never complain.

As for the Z8, I've been trying to find any reviews or feedback but it seems they haven't hit the street yet. When I bought my Z6's years ago there was no forecast for a Z8. I was actually holding out for the S&B 1-8 as it was supposed to have a true 1x setting. The original Short Dot was a 1.1 and I couldn't stand it. It kept getting delayed so I started looking at other options and found the Z6. I don't think I've ever been happier with a major purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    A good friend who was issued one told me they broke several. Have they gotten better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    There's a lot of folks that hate the Elcan, due to its ARMS mount, external adjustments (which leads to wandering zeros), etc.
    We received the newest Elcan's a few days ago, they have gone through many iterations and beyond the Arms mount hate and the eye relief I think they are solid options.
    We have a lot of LEO and Military guys that have used them in the field on issued guns and have bought their own. After that incident that happened in Dallas last Summer, a couple Officers in that area called up and wanted Elcan 1-4's for their patrol rifles which didn't have any magnification previously.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    No, but some have more usable reticles when the illumination is off than others.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Apparently my sarcasm prowess was way off this week!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    As far as cheapy optics go, anything hobby brand is out right away, primary arms and the like shouldn't even be considered.

If you want a cheap Leupold which will take a beating check out the vxr patrol

http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/10/leupold...iredot-on.html

It's not true 1x but I can say without hesitation that it doesn't really matter if you are running 4x all the time.

I like trijicon and haven't experienced the issues people talk about the accupower. But I wouldn't recommend the one I have (green mil sq) for duty use.
    I want to like the VX-R, but why the hell did Leupold have to make it with exposed adjustment turrets? I mean, who on earth is going to make adjustments on the fly at "patrol carbine" distances?

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I want to like the VX-R, but why the hell did Leupold have to make it with exposed adjustment turrets? I mean, who on earth is going to make adjustments on the fly at "patrol carbine" distances?
    I agree.

My suggestion has always been to mark it or tape it.

It is a good optic though, and Leupold does offer capped turrets in other more expensive optics.

Now days, a good 1-6 or 1-8 is the money...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List