Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A discussion on optics durability

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    One of the little Crimson Trace Railmaster units.
    One of my friends tried that. Switchology was meh, thing wouldn't hold zero worth a damn. Honestly, I think it's mildly ridiculous that the cheapest quality visible pointer for a carbine is probably the Steiner DBAL-I2.

Regarding cons for the ACOG, they are not a parallax free optic.

I've been running a PRO with their magnifier and like it so far but I really haven't wrung it out yet.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I'm really surprised to see an issue with Nightforce. Makes me wonder if someone is over torquing their scope.

Also curious what the Burris scopes are mounted on and which versions as my personal experience has been good. Myself and a friend bought Burris TAC30's in 1-4x about 6 years ago and have had zero issues with them, shot them in classes and 3-gun, and general shooting fun. Probably 15K rounds between the two of them that are mounted on 16" midlength carbines with Larue LT-104 mounts. I also had a 3-9x TAC30 on an LR308 and had zero issues. I am in no way sticking up for them as a top tier product but they work for me.

The well used Vortex 1-4x Razor on my current AR has served me well, and it has a couple scars.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Just speculating but I'm thinking that a lot of abuse depends on the blow the scope is receiving. Large amounts of 5.56 don't impress me because there isn't much force involved. From the internet rumors, the test platform for durability testing is the MK17 (SCAR in 7.62x51). If a scope is still working after 5000 rounds on the SCAR, I'd consider it durable. There is also info from Battlefield Las Vegas that really praises the Aimpoint PRO and certain ACOGs.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I think my rifle rack could have been the culprit but still nonetheless disheartening and disappointing. However the response from NF is more than a excellent and it's already at ththe factory with no questions asked. The rack is a setina and there was space/clearance but it gets a lot of vibration and it would have been localized on the objective lens. Also mount was torqued via Larue specifications with a craftsman torque wrench. Also of note I'm the sexy no owner and don't know what the previous owner did with it but it was in good condition minus normal surface nicks.

Oh and some awesome dude loaned me this upper to use while the NF is getting repaired because I had a lapse in having a spare optic/upper for my other lower. I'm a failure.....

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I'm really surprised to see an issue with Nightforce. Makes me wonder if someone is over torquing their scope.

Also curious what the Burris scopes are mounted on and which versions as my personal experience has been good. Myself and a friend bought Burris TAC30's in 1-4x about 6 years ago and have had zero issues with them, shot them in classes and 3-gun, and general shooting fun. Probably 15K rounds between the two of them that are mounted on 16" midlength carbines with Larue LT-104 mounts. I also had a 3-9x TAC30 on an LR308 and had zero issues. I am in no way sticking up for them as a top tier product but they work for me.

The well used Vortex 1-4x Razor on my current AR has served me well, and it has a couple scars.
    Based on a discussion I had with a Leupold technical rep a few years ago, a large percentage of scope failures are related to installation issues. And most of the installation issues are caused by too much torque on fasteners.

My personal experience with optics has been mixed. I have lost a few reticles on Burris scopes that were mounted on a Super Redhawk, stripped an elevation turret on a Leupold (my fault), and lost adjustment on another Leupold that was mounted on the aforementioned Super Redhawk. How a company responds to a damaged scope is important to me, and Leupold has been really good for me. Burris, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Moving a metric ton of optics here, practically all brands and models have had a variation of those problems.
    So on defensive guns I'd recommend a QD mount for the LPV or red dot and back up sights just in case.
    I've seen plenty of issues with qd mounts. I think the qd mount is a higher failure risk than a quality LPV.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    I think my rifle rack could have been the culprit but still nonetheless disheartening and disappointing. However the response from NF is more than a excellent and it's already at ththe factory with no questions asked. The rack is a setina and there was space/clearance but it gets a lot of vibration and it would have been localized on the objective lens. Also mount was torqued via Larue specifications with a craftsman torque wrench. Also of note I'm the sexy no owner and don't know what the previous owner did with it but it was in good condition minus normal surface nicks.

Oh and some awesome dude loaned me this upper to use while the NF is getting repaired because I had a lapse in having a spare optic/upper for my other lower. I'm a failure.....

Very recessed front lens. Likely crushed it with the LaRue.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I've seen plenty of issues with qd mounts. I think the qd mount is a higher failure risk than a quality LPV.
    Which QD Mounts? We've had no reported issues with ADM, Bobro or GDI. I know of problems with some other mounts we have not listed though.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

Nightforce got a bunch of bad coatings on their glass a while back. I thought they had caught all of it and pulled it off the line. Something always sneaks through I guess.

User Tag List