Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A discussion on optics durability

As I'm sure most of you know, I am a NF fan. Pretending that they "have issues" is simply silly. No company produces perfection every time all the time, but NF scopes are as tough as they come, as often or more often than anyone else. They certainly don't need illum to work well, though I leave it on so that when I go indoors I have it available.

That said, I have lately been using my Aimpoint 3X on my CQB carbine (11.5") in conjunction with its T2. Not a bad set up, even all these years later. Not the absolute lightest, not the best mag range, no holdovers or useful features, but for a room distance gun, it allows you to PID at distance much better than with no magnification. Plus, easy to ditch if I really don't want it.
    Last edited by SLG; 02-23-2017 at 07:52 AM.

A discussion on optics durability

I'm really surprised to hear no love for the ACOG. I get fixed power is a bit out of date but I still don't see the maturity that I would be comfortable with when it comes to a lot of LPV, (not all though).

I've used an ACOG for a long ass time both in and out of combat. They are tough as shit. No they can't be run as fast as the new hotness LPVs on 1x but they can be run pretty damn proficiently even at close ranges with practice.

If you're running a 14.5-16" carbine I still think they are a relevant choice. I never cared for the 4x35 but the 3x30 ad the 3.5x35 are extremely usable in a wide variety of conditions. With a QD mount and a BUIS like the KAC 2-6 you'd be in pretty good shape.

This is not to say that there aren't some kick ass LPV's because there are and some have been mentioned already but if you are looking for something rugged and reliable that will work in a myriad of conditions I'd be looking more at an ACOG. Proven track record solid performance, etched reticle, lumicent tube, tritium, blah blah blah.

Edited to add if you're not stretching from 3-600m just get a red dot. I completely agree with SLG. Aimpoints are hard to beat in the red dot category especially when you combine them with a magnifier. Inside of 300/350 it's all you'd ever need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-23-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Anyone have trigger time behind the new 1-8 Triji Accupower? I've read some reviews and it looks to be a well thought out LPV.

I'm waiting for NF to get off their rear and come out with a new 1-6 or maybe a 1-8.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    If you want a cheap Leupold which will take a beating check out the vxr patrol
    http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/10/leupold...iredot-on.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I want to like the VX-R, but why the hell did Leupold have to make it with exposed adjustment turrets? I mean, who on earth is going to make adjustments on the fly at "patrol carbine" distances?
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I agree.

My suggestion has always been to mark it or tape it.
    I have a 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol on a working gun. The lack of zero stop and rotation indicator on the turrets is annoying, and mine are taped. Battery life could use a boost. Otherwise, it's a lot of scope for the money and I am happy with mine.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I have a 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol on a working gun. The lack of zero stop and rotation indicator on the turrets is annoying, and mine are taped. Battery life could use a boost. Otherwise, it's a lot of scope for the money and I am happy with mine.
    I have the 3-9 Patrol on a MP10 and I don't like how easily the turrets move. I bought a VX/R Hog Hunter 1-4 over another Patrol model as the Hog Hunter turrets are capped.

Optics Durability :

1. Aimpoint

2. ACOG

3. Fixed power scope

3. Low Power Variable scope

My thoughts and experience in using optics on a rifle for target shooting, hunting, and recreation run along the lines of the above list from most reliable and durable to least. I think cost is an important factor as well. Because generally speaking a higher quality optic is not cheap or inexpensive.

If someone asked what I thought was the most durable and reliable low power variable optic with a record of actual use in the field under arduous conditions, then my response would be the Schmidt and Bender 1-4 Short Dot.

The only problem is that it is too costly and can be difficult to find at times.

So, I think a great alternative is the Nightforce NXS in 1-4 with a Quick relase mount, ADM, BROBO, etc.

The ACOG TA-11 is another great low power option too.

I think it all comes down to what is your intended use, range, type of rifle, and budget.

I've tried and owned many types of optics over the course of shooting and hunting in the last 30 plus years. I still think that one of the most practical and durable scopes is a quality fixed 4X power scope. It's funny that I ended up with a Short Dot 1-4 on my favorite rifle and almost exclusively shoot with the scope set to 4X with the illumination off.

For someone looking to try-out a low-cost LPV the Vortex 1-4 PST is a nice scope for the money. The Leupold variable VX1 and II, and III 1-4 and 1.5X5 are decent too.

I used a Leupold fixed FX II 2.5X20 for a while on an ADM mount and it proved to be a very rugged, fast, and cost effective optic.

Finally, Iwould say though that for a close range defensive application or even hunting dangerous animals nothing is faster or more durable an optic than one of the variations of the AIMPOINT.

The problem for a lot of people with Acogs is aging eyes. No adjustable diopter so its either clear for you or it isn't. I have long been a fan of LPV and I currently run a S&B short dot 1-4 on my AR. I fiddled with it in the past but never gave it a solid run but I would really like to try a TA11 with a T1 at 1 O'clock to run against my Short Dot. But I have a number of 308 Carbines as well and that's where I start down the 1-6 and 1-8 categories. I have played with a lot of glass. And as usual with optics, there is always a compromise. It just boils down to your own pursuits and what things your willing to give up and what things you wont.
    Last edited by shane45; 02-23-2017 at 10:20 AM.

I'm curious to see who durable the new Trijicon 1-8 accupower will be.

I'd also like to see Nightforce to come out with a 1-6 and/or a 1-8 option.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I'm curious to see who durable the new Trijicon 1-8 accupower will be.

I'd also like to see Nightforce to come out with a 1-6 and/or a 1-8 option.
    As am I.

I may get the new trijicon 1-8 after the two 1-4s I have get reviewed.

I'm a fan of new developments which push the standard in our favor.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I ran few carbine classes with LPVs (Burris MTAC+Larue mount) and a 308 battlerifle class with a Leupold DAGR setup (Aimpoint T-1, Larue Ring mount, Leupold 3-18 Mark 6, Leupold Mark 6 Mount).

I am really a fan of the 1-4x LPV on a 5.56 carbine. A true 1x is wonderful inside 100 yards, and the FOV is better than the T-1 due to the optics. I have had zero mechanical or other issues with the two Burris MTACs that I own over the last 3 years of use/abuse. The MTAC ballistic reticle was handy for those longer shots out to 400. I have not used the MTAC at targets beyond 400.

I really liked the DAGR setup on the 308, with one exception. The T-1 was very fast and light inside 50 yards. The Leupold 3-18 was perfect from 50-800+yards. The optic is durable, turrets low-profile, compact size (for its magnification) with excellent optical performance. Mine has the Tremor3 reticle, so hold-offs for wind and elevation are easy. I highly recommend the 3-18 Mark 6. Downside? No cheek weld when using the T-1 mounted on top of the scope. You elevate your head about 2 inches to see through the T-1, and your cheek loses contact with the buttstock. Not ideal for consistency and accuracy.

One more disadvantage: the weight. Start with a 9+ pound Sig 716, add 2 pounds of scope, T-1, mounts, and a full 20/25-round 308 magazine. Uggh. After a week of class, my shoulder sockets were abused. Sore muscles go away, but the ligament pain took a month to heal. Lesson learned was I needed to add some shoulder specific exercises to my list to prepare for the class. Next time.
    Last edited by Trigger; 02-23-2017 at 10:48 AM.

User Tag List