Thread: Hornady Critical Duty 135g 9mm +P

Hornady Critical Duty 135g 9mm +P

Has this load or the standard pressure seen any widespread use by any departments?

It is on the good Doc's approved list.

For a list of agencies that use this round, I would suggest contacting Kathy McHale, Hornady's LE rep.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I know Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office here in Florida carries it, not sure weather it's standard or +P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Round Rock, TX PD, which is in the return to sanity area north of Austin, uses it and has a couple of successful shootings with it. Dallas PD recently adopted Hornady across the board for all their service ammo, so I'd guess they may have some early impressions. If you need a contact there, PM me.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Thanks everyone. This isn't a agency purpose I'm a security officer who is required to provide his own handgun/ammo. I'm currently carrying 124g 9mm HST but researching docs list yesterday I realized its not on the approved list. I was looking for a proven ammo handgun combo. I'm about to start carrying a P320 Compact in 9mm and noticed a couple agencies issued CD with the p320. I just thought this would be a could start. I have read several things online about CD performs the best with full size service pistols the P320 Compact has a 3.9 inch barrel. I wonder if this barrel length is suitable with that ammo? I plan on calling hornady later today but thought I would ask the experts on here first.

Site Supporter
    Look at Doc's list and pick one that is a) reliable in your pistol (confirmed with several hundred rounds), b) is available in quantity and is cost effective for your mission and resources, c) shoots to POA for your pistol and d) that there is a reasonable equivalent training load to use. That starts to sound like Federal, CCI-Speer and Winchester to me. There are lots of well documented successes with selected loads from the three foregoing brands off the list. My preferences are the Federal 124 HST +P, the Federal 147 HST and the CCI 124 Gold Dot +P.

Don't make this more complicated than the issue is. I'm going to cause more heads to explode on PF, but ammo is probably about 5% of the total tactical problem. Controlled, timely and ACCURATE responses with excellent tactics are the other 95%. When you can shoot a 90%+ score on a Super Test or something similarly demanding on a routine and cold basis, then ammo choices will give you a bit of an edge. Until then, you're trying to buy success that can only be worked for and earned, not purchased.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

We use it. We've had one shooting with it. It did just as advertised.

I also like the Federal HST, and I have some of the G2 stuff in a personal gun.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by KyNate View Post
    Thanks everyone. This isn't a agency purpose I'm a security officer who is required to provide his own handgun/ammo. I'm currently carrying 124g 9mm HST but researching docs list yesterday I realized its not on the approved list. I was looking for a proven ammo handgun combo. I'm about to start carrying a P320 Compact in 9mm and noticed a couple agencies issued CD with the p320. I just thought this would be a could start. I have read several things online about CD performs the best with full size service pistols the P320 Compact has a 3.9 inch barrel. I wonder if this barrel length is suitable with that ammo? I plan on calling hornady later today but thought I would ask the experts on here first.
    FWIW, my understanding of DocGKR's position is that the 124gr+P variants simply represent the best in that bullet weight, rather than that the standard pressure variants are unacceptable. He's said something to that effect in past threads, but I don't have a link handy at this time. You're still carrying good rounds with the 124gr standard pressure HSTs, to the point where I'd question whether a switch is even necessary. Methinks taking Mr. Dobbs' advice is the more prudent path here.

User Tag List