Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm 115 grain Match and Duty Ammo Accuracy Test

Site Supporter
    So, for a dose of reality from the bullseye world. They typically don't pay much attention to short line performance, which is how they characterize the 25 yard line. Most of us start thinking in terms of extended range at 25 yards and the cops think that's the end of the earth, if they're an average LEO shooter. So, go back and test this ammo at 50 and find out what it's really doing. You may find a surprise, or not. Obviously, don't mess with that WC ammo. Additionally, take a look at ammo testing protocols done by a guy who goes by Molon on LF, M4C and I think here also. He's way ahead of anything else I've ever seen on any forums.

BTW, that Atlanta Arms ammo is very well known in competitive circles, especially bullseye. I've read that if you stand on the firing line at the Nationals at Camp Perry, you'll see nothing but Atlanta Arms ammo boxes when you look at the top shooters.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Very interesting.

Hammertime
    What bullet is used for that Atlanta Arms Cartridge? It looks similar to a Hornady XTP. Do they make their own proprietary bullet?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    What bullet is used for that Atlanta Arms Cartridge? It looks similar to a Hornady XTP. Do they make their own proprietary bullet?
    It's an XTP.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Great test!

Thanks for taking the time to post and share this information. Here are some random thoughts...

I read the Asym post about 115 and 147 and find it interesting. I use AE 147 in USPSA matches since I don't reload and like to be sure my poppers fall. I have seen far too many shooters get popper 'effed with 115s. 124s seem to work better but are not as popular in my experience. The AE 147 feels soft to me but chronographs at 140 power factor out of a G34.

The 9BP has always shot very well for me when testing pistols for accuracy. I think Ayoob recommended it years ago as a match load for 9mm.

I do wonder how some less expensive training ammo would have compared to the good stuff though!

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post and share this information.
    My pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I do wonder how some less expensive training ammo would have compared to the good stuff though!
    Eventually we're going to find out. I'm running a long-term test on popular practice ammo and comparing things like accuracy and dirtiness. I'm also prepping to start my 124 grain Match vs Duty accuracy test.

Thanks for posting your review.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    Eventually we're going to find out. I'm running a long-term test on popular practice ammo and comparing things like accuracy and dirtiness. I'm also prepping to start my 124 grain Match vs Duty accuracy test.
    Most excellent news.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks in advance for the testing. Hopefully my go-to budget Walmart 115 grain Perfecta makes the list.
    They always have stacks of it in stock in New Hampshire, never had one dud round or QC issues, and its less expensive than any of the other low brow stuff like Winchester white box/Federal champion.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

User Tag List