Thread: SIG old style mainspring removal

SIG old style mainspring removal

I am detail stripping my new/old stock 1996 era SIG P239 to put in a standard width trigger and clean out/replace the decades-old factory grease with fresh grease, and have run into a bit of a problem with the mainspring. I've disassembled modern mainsprings with the plastic mainspring boot using the Brownells SPD tool, but have never done the old style metal seat as shown below:

Name:  IMG_1525.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  30.2 KBName:  IMG_1527.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  17.4 KB

If I use a screwdriver to put pressure on the bottom of the metal seat on the exposed side of the cross pin (to the rear of the pistol), it moves, but rocks forward towards the outside rear wall of the mag well, and I felt like I was going to lose control and send parts flying and possibly gouge the screwdriver into the frame. It doesn't seem like I can get a screwdriver between the outside rear wall of the frame and the cross pin, at least not without scratching a bunch of stuff up.

Can any of our SIG Gurus offer any tricks of the trade to get this out without buggering up the frame?

Thanks!

Got it...all it took was literally three hands

Whenever I worked on those, I called for an assistant. I've done it by myself but a third hand makes it easy.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Invest in the new style. They'll work. May have to modify the inside of plastic factory grips. Did it with a P6 a few years ago.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Stick it in a vice. I've used a pair of needle nose pliers before.

It is kind of a PITA

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Invest in the new style. They'll work. May have to modify the inside of plastic factory grips. Did it with a P6 a few years ago.
    Definitely going to happen the next time I take this little guy apart--would NOT want to mess with trying to take the mainspring off the hammer strut. If I would have known what a PITA it was going to be (or actually remembered that the older guns have a different setup) I would have snagged a new style part and some new grips when I got the trigger, but lessons learned and life experience and all...

Also, the single stack mag well makes getting the sear back in place and lined up a bit of an adventure. But other than that I much prefer the improvements of the P239 over the other classic SIGs when it comes to detail stripping.

I have a small needle nose vice grip pliers for working on them.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List