Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scanning before reholstering

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    What about those of us who appendix carry? Looking into the holster mouth is a pretty dammed important step in the whole 'holstering without bleeding out' process.
    Not if you use a hammered weapon, or if you're one of the chosen few who are worth enough to have a Glock Gadget.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Eyes on the threat? Why are you putting your gun away if there is still an active threat?

What about those of us who appendix carry? Looking into the holster mouth is a pretty dammed important step in the whole 'holstering without bleeding out' process.
    More free advertising coming your way!
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not if you use a hammered weapon, or if you're one of the chosen few who are worth enough to have a Glock Gadget.
    I looked with my P30 LEM and I look with my Gadget equipped Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I looked with my P30 LEM and I look with my Gadget equipped Glocks.
    I'm not saying you don't.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by tac-safe View Post
    As for looking down at my holster, in my opinion that's a bad thing. You always want to keep your eyes on the threat. Re-holstering should be second nature...smooth.
    Under what circumstance is a CHL holder going to need to holster so fast he cannot take the time to verify his holster is clear?

As BOM asked, why are you putting your gun away if you have a threat that needs "your eyes on" it?

I'm not advocating one way over the other (though I certainly teaching looking at the holster for aiwb, and any time the gun doesn't immediately find itself nestled warm and cozy on the first try). But I wouldn't put one iota of effort into learning a reholster technique. Self-inflicted GSWs from improper reholstering are probably the single most common serious firearms training injury. Why risk shooting yourself just to look smooth?

I've always thought working from the holster was comparable to a young high school guy fucking his girlfriend:

When it's time to pull it out, you better do so like your life depended on it.

Everyone is happier if you put it in nice and slow, and if you need to take a peek to find the hole, it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
    I've always thought working from the holster was comparable to a young high school guy fucking his girlfriend:

Everyone is happier if you put it in nice and slow, and if you need to take a peek to find the hole, it's ok.
    Hella profound

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post

I am so stealing that.

my post-shooting to pre-tac reload ritual:

finger prepping trigger looking through the sights at target i just shot- determine whether or not the threat is gone (one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing people race off the target after their last shot)
    if no, repeat shooting until yes.
    if yes, finger off trigger, decock at extension, come back to high ready
    search left, right, 360 if situationally allowable while simultaneously performing audible breathing.

do i do it all the time on the range? if alone, i make it a point to do it at least a few times so i'm at least situationally aware when i'm on the range by myself and i haven't forgotten to do it altogether, but it doesn't dominate my training time. other than that, its common sense/courtesy. if i run a dot torture, i'll do it at the end of each segment, but not after each shot within that segment. if i'm shooting with others on the line and under instruction, i don't do a full 360 after every iteration b/c it holds up training- if i'm done first, its a left and right and over the shoulder with my feet planted. if i'm finished last, its get ready for the next run. most important thing is to do it with what i feel is enough frequency that i'm not likely to forget it altogether in a real situation.

User Tag List