Thread: Best way to "black out" rear TFX Pro fiber optics

Best way to "black out" rear TFX Pro fiber optics

I have TFX Pros on my Walther PPS and HK P30v1. I love the sights, but I want to tone down the brightness of the rear fiber optics, without completely/permanently blacking them out. I am considering black, blue, or red Sharpie, either on the top light-gathering area of the sight or on the rear-facing dot. Another consideration is cutting a small section of black electrical tape and covering the top light-gathering area. What is the best option for dimming the TFX Pros that is not complete and/or permanent?

There isn't one. Use black paint.

Are the rears on those the tritium + fiber optic combo? Not being a big fan of rear dots in daylight, I think I'd try blocking the top of the fiber optic so they're basically tritium only.

Temporary it with tape, to try the concept. Maybe something like some black RTV silicone in those notches as a more semi-permenant fix? It might just peel right out. (or it might eat everything alive...try at your own risk!)
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Are the rears on those the tritium + fiber optic combo? Not being a big fan of rear dots in daylight, I think I'd try blocking the top of the fiber optic so they're basically tritium only.

Temporary it with tape, to try the concept. Maybe something like some black RTV silicone in those notches as a more semi-permenant fix? It might just peel right out. (or it might eat everything alive...try at your own risk!)
    I like the way it looks when I cover the top of the sight with my finger, so tape or silicone (as you suggested) would essentially provide the same results. I am liking the silicone idea. I may just stop by an auto parts store on the way home and pick some up.
    Last edited by MajorLonghorn; 02-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.

I went with the black silicone, and I'm generally pleased with the results. It definitely accomplished the goal, but I wanted it to look perfectly smooth and I wasn't able to get it just right. Something tells me I'll have to re-do it in the future anyway, so hopefully I'll get better with practice. I'm letting it cure overnight and I'll post pictures of the finished product tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    I went with the black silicone, and I'm generally pleased with the results. It definitely accomplished the goal, but I wanted it to look perfectly smooth and I wasn't able to get it just right. Something tells me I'll have to re-do it in the future anyway, so hopefully I'll get better with practice. I'm letting it cure overnight and I'll post pictures of the finished product tomorrow.
    Wet your fingertip to smooth it out without it sticking to you and creating a mess.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List