Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man goes berserk with hammer at mall.

Man goes berserk with hammer at mall.

When I read this article it really got me thinking about the scenario and what I would do if I was there for this incident. There is a lot of things that could've gone very wrong for someone had he turned the hammer on a shopper or mall employee.

Mayhem erupted when a man ran through the Fox Run Mall Thursday, smashing display cases and glass storefronts with a hammer as he babbled incoherently, police and witnesses said.

I just called a friend of mine in NH and he said they have been fighting for hammer registration for some years now. I think they might finally get it.

In all seriousness though, that is a really tough situation to consider. How do you handle something like that, especially if your only tools are a gun and a knife? What is justified if he is just vandalizing? Scary stuff.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    especially if your only tools are a gun and a knife?
    What tool would you rather have to deal with him?

Slightly misplaced cliche perhaps, but I would have a hard time wanting to deal with that issue, as a civilian.

In all seriousness though, that is a really tough situation to consider. How do you handle something like that, especially if your only tools are a gun and a knife? What is justified if he is just vandalizing? Scary stuff.
    I've ran a bunch of different scenarios over in my head... I really don't think there's an easy answer if you're unfortunate enough to be near Captain Hammer's berserker mode. To be honest my initial thought was if my family was with me and his direction was headed towards us I'd use whatever force was necessary to protect my family.

If he approaches, yes, obvious solution. I guess I am hung up on the idea of him aimlessly wandering and me doing nothing while I have *a* solution. But in that scenario GTFO and getting a good description seems good enough.

I guess I am hung up on the idea of him aimlessly wandering and me doing nothing while I have *a* solution.
    You have "a solution" in search of a problem, and that's the wrong way to approach it as a non-LEO.
    Crazy guy smashing someone else's windows with a hammer... not a problem that I feel compelled to solve in any manner.
    I'd secure my family and then possibly follow at a safe distance watching the circus.
    If things changed and he became violent towards people, then it could possibly be a problem I might have a solution to.

Agree

I'm not even going "hands on" with someone over broken windows.
    There's no way I'm going to wrestle around on broken glass with a crazy man.
    I have enough problems without requiring stitches or contracting Hep or HIV.

Another point to consider is that mentally unstable folks don't respond well to pain. Having gone H2H with a few, you need lots of help.

And another vote for not getting involved in a property crime. He starts trying to hit folks? Different set of dynamics right there.

User Tag List