Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on new pistol purchase.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I don't have enough money to be reading this thread.
    Ditto...That said I'm an unabashed 1911 Fanboy and have been thinking about putting together a stable of what I'd call "working class" 1911s.

If I was doing it all over I would be quite happy with two 9 mm LWCs and a 9 mm CCO.
    Ignore Alien Orders

If you spend any amount of time seated with a gun on your belt, straight draw, the short gun is a advantage. A 4.25" JUST clears the seat cushion but I need the short butt to keep from bumping the seat back. Although I like the feel of a Commander to handle and shoot, the compact is more portable.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I solve that specific issue with rake and by positioning the holster at 3:00. This also helps with the print while bend issue. It does compromise the wrist during the draw.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I solve that specific issue with rake and by positioning the holster at 3:00. This also helps with the print while bend issue. It does compromise the wrist during the draw.
    Pics or it didn't happen.Name:  WIN_20170221_14_18_13_Pro.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  25.6 KB

Now the hard part the wait 12 to 16 weeks! Here's the spec's
    9mm CQB Commander
    French border
    Clean slide except Wilson logo on the rear
    Black rear sight front night sight
    Flat trigger 3-3.25 pull
    Round butt magwell
    I'm also gonna give the 5 shot SME a go and order tomorrow should be ready about the same time.
    Rick
    Last edited by Paladin; 02-21-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Add option
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

I'm jealous.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Some of my observations from owning two professional models with full-size grips...

- Full-size (10 round) Wilson ETM magazines, like all ETM mags, are quite a bit longer and add considerable length to the bottom of a full-size frame. From what I've seen, the same applies to compact frames with the 9 round ETM's.

- The fact that they stick out makes NOT getting a roundbutt magwell in hopes of saving grip length pretty useless. Get the magwell. Same applies to compact guns with ETM's, get the magwell.

- Aluminum frames make a big difference in carry weight (about a half pound by my scale) but little difference in shootability in the professional/commander size Wilsons, IME.

- The full-size guns could be an inch longer and it wouldn't make a difference in how it conceals for ME in AIWB using a 5 Shot SME. ( Thanks again Jon!)

- Tony makes a great AIWB slanted mag carrier, highly recommended.

- Get at least one aluminum baseplate ETM mag, as the flat sides are more comfortable in a mag carrier than the standard ETM baseplate.

To the OP - You made a great choice, and you're going to love it. I would also highly recommend the SME, it's amazingly comfortable and conceals the same (for me).

Pics or it didn't happen...

Here is an ULCC 9mm with no magwell and 10 round ETM mag (aluminum baseplate). Notice how far out the magazine sits. Again, no reason not to get a magwell.

Compact Carry Professional 9mm with 10 round ETM mag (same aluminum baseplate) . Best pic I can find to show magwell/mag length

ETA: To give you an idea of grip length, here is the ULCC with 10 round ETM next to my G17k with a factory 15 round magazine (sit's flush with grip, can't see it in photo). And no, you can't have my cheese quesadilla pictured.

For an idea on all-up weight, here is the ULCC (aluminum frame) with a full 10 round ETM and +1 of 124gr +P Gold Dots. I don't have a pic, but I happen to weigh my Compact Carry Professional (steel frame 4" gun with bull barrel) a few nights ago and it came in at 41.45 ounces on the same scale.

Last edited by StraitR; 02-22-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Now the hard part the wait 12 to 16 weeks! Here's the spec's
    9mm CQB Commander
    French border
    Clean slide except Wilson logo on the rear
    Black rear sight front night sight
    Flat trigger 3-3.25 pull
    Round butt magwell
    I'm also gonna give the 5 shot SME a go and order tomorrow should be ready about the same time.
    Rick
    I recently had a 9mm CQB Elite build finished up about a month ago. It took roughly half the quoted time. I think I had the gun 8 weeks after ordering. So don't be surprised if the wait is much less than the quoted lead time.
    Shoot more, post less...

It wasn't that long ago the wait times were over a year and I'm into this wait about 4 weeks and it's killing me! I'll for sure post pics upon arrival.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

User Tag List